Question Getting Blue Screens Trying To Run a 1080 & 780 ti Pls Help

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Hey guys wasnt sure if this was the best category for this thread.

Im trying to run a gtx 780 ti alongside my gtx 1080 for various reasons. However after installing my 780 i tend to get blue screens and then windows tries to run a startup repair. I can then uninstall the 780 and try to boot into windows and after getting to the startup repair i can simply choose to attempt to restart again rather than actually running recovery options and then im back into my system.

Ive seen people talking about running different architecture cards together without issues and im wondering how to do that. I see mentions of people having issues with drivers but i cant even get to that step yet. Im also surprised this is happening at all because ive never had issues running older gen cards with newer gen ones in the past.

Anyone got any ideas what i can try to get into windows with both these cards installed?

cpu: i7-4930k @ 3.4ghz
mobo: asus rampage iv gene
ram: corsair dominator platinum 32gb @ 2133mhz
psu: corsair ax1200
gpus: gtx 1080 in pcie x16 slot one, gtx 780 ti in pcie x8 (slot 4)
Edit: I also have a 780 ti classified king pin edition if that might run better but i have a few reasons for not wanting to run this one over the base 780 ti.

Last edited:

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Have you tried uninstalling the graphics driver using ddu and then booting in with both cards installed using just the generic windows drivers?
No I just assumed it’s would work like it always had. I’ve seen steps for properly installing drivers but I figured the blue screen thing wasn’t related cuz I’ve never had trouble like this before. I can try this but it’ll be like a two least a week before o an attempt to to do so. Of there’s anything else I could try then as well please lemme know cuz I wanna try and troubleshoot everything’s I can when I take my rig down again.