getting "boot error" after Bios Update

Sapir Malka

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
i have a gigabyte-H97-D3H MB,
i tried updating the bios to get the NVMe support from the latest update.(F7 update)
now i get a "boot error" message whenever i boot,
but if i press any key, it loads windows just fine.
it does create a bunch of issues regarding storage recognition such as samsung magician not running.
when i go into the bios again to try and reinstall the bios, i press the Q-Flash button like i did to begin with, but this time im told "No devices found".
i tried flashing another bios from windows (flashed F6) and still i get the same error.
also tried removing the bios battery, and resetting the bios settings to defaults, but no luck.
please help

Solution
I wouldn't call it fine. Bootloader is located on 500GB drive. Windows is located on 120GB drive.

In BIOS boot priorities you have to put 500GB drive first.
After BIOS update BIOS settings get reset to defaults. You have to restore specific settings, that were configured before update - sata controller mode, boot mode, boot device priorities.

Sapir Malka

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
Sata is set to AHCI, boot mode is set to dual boot (Legacy+UEFI), if i try legacy alone, i get the same message,
UEFI alone gets me a "No bootable devices" message and sends me to bios.
and i put my windows drive as the top priority for boot.
i didnt have an option for windows boot manager

Sapir Malka

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014

sure, here:
YI8nWI0.png

as you can see, everything seems fine,
everything shows up fine in the bios, but if i try to change up something (like booting from a usb drive)
it simply boots up windows after the "boot error" message as if i didn't choose the usb drive.
also, in the bios, if i go into Q-Flash and try to pick a bios file, it says "no devices found" even tho i have everything connected

Sapir Malka

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014

thank you so much, this fixed it :)
i guess when i upgraded my pc with the ssd, i left the priorities as they were, and updating the bios flipped them.

TRENDING THREADS