Question Getting BSOD during installation of the OS

iuliandubee

Commendable
Feb 28, 2019
Hello, i got a computer which had Windows 7 installed, but wanted to do a upgrade to Windows 10, since the current OS was full with useless programs. The computer i think is from the 2009 era, it has a 500gb WD blue hdd which is pretty good. I formatted the whole disk and started the operation of installing Windows 10. At about a quart of the installation the PC restarts and enters in a boot loop of the circle thing spinning and showing the bsod error: driver pnp watchdog.
I entered in the bios and the SATA controller was set to AHCI, i don't know anything else to do, could someone help me out? Should i change the controller setting to IDE, will it work?

Sep 13, 2020
It is possible that during the installation process your OS does not recognize the HDD driver because it is no longer supported. Your BIOS recognizes the driver but Win 10 does not, since it does not belong to its generic amount of drivers due to age issues. It happens like this, suddenly the medium onto which the os is to be installed is gone, due to driver issues. You can circumvent this by building and inserting the driver into your own WIM but I do not recommend that for the none professional.
Make yourself a bootable stick. Change BIOS to boot from usb drive. It also can be Linux. Get your license key ready or buy a new one, wipe the disk completely and try to format it Fat 32. Then try the stick with the Win 10 image, it should recognize the HDD and run the installation normally. Choose format disk, this time with ntfs.

iuliandubee

Commendable
Feb 28, 2019
It is possible that during the installation process your OS does not recognize the HDD driver because it is no longer supported. Your BIOS recognizes the driver but Win 10 does not, since it does not belong to its generic amount of drivers due to age issues. It happens like this, suddenly the medium onto which the os is to be installed is gone, due to driver issues. You can circumvent this by building and inserting the driver into your own WIM but I do not recommend that for the none professional.
Make yourself a bootable stick. Change BIOS to boot from usb drive. It also can be Linux. Get your license key ready or buy a new one, wipe the disk completely and try to format it Fat 32. Then try the stick with the Win 10 image, it should recognize the HDD and run the installation normally. Choose format disk, this time with ntfs.
Thank you for replying, i'll try to do this, but do you have an idea what is the size of linux, i only have some 8gb sticks lying around