[SOLVED] Getting BSOD,suspecting ram

TwitMeat

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
Hello,
As the title says,i've had some BSODs lately,im suspecting ram,a week ago,i was playing Escape from Tarkov when i had a huge fps drop,something i didnt usually have ,checked ram and it was at 2133 mhz instead of 3000mhz as i had it set,went into Bios and i changed it manually to 3000mhz .After that,i started getting BSODs,checked EventViewer and got this error 0x0000001A,checked everything again and realised that my mistake was not setting Xmp Profile,then i went and did that making my pc work for the last 3-4 days,without no problem,the only weird thing was that my Xmp Profile would disable itself going to Auto and changing back to 2133mhz whenever i would shut down my pc,didnt think much of it.Today,i had another bluescreen with a different error ,0x00000050,after this,i used Memtestx86 to check my ram,did 3 Passes at 2133mhz with no errors in it,i know 8 passes are recommended but i was told that 2-3 are usually good enough.I have no idea what can it be and i would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me

My spec:
Win 10 Pro 64-bit
MOBO: AsRock b450 Pro4
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU: Geforce 1060 3gbs
DISK:WD BLUE 1tb Desktop Hdd
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 16GB,3000MHz, CL16 (slot A2/B2)
Power supply: Corsair Vs550

I recently installed a SSD,that's when everything kind of started,but i did not install anything on it besides Escape from Tarkov and i have no idea if that has to do anything with what's happening or just a coincidence,i also had this XMP profile problems when i installed ram,as it would switch back to 2133 mhz couple of times,but no blue screens of death or anything like that

Solution
@TwitMeat
When BIOS changes settings without you doing anything it is normally caused by a failure to POST (power on self test). When the POST fails, the BIOS reverts to default settings and reboots. This could be a result of memory settings or it could be something else.

I normally recommend running memtest over night, that way you are not tempted to stop it after 2-3 passes.

Remember that the memory controller is on your CPU. If the CPU is overheating while gaming, then you could have an error in the memory controller that looks a lot like a RAM problem. Are you overclocking the CPU at all?
@TwitMeat
When BIOS changes settings without you doing anything it is normally caused by a failure to POST (power on self test). When the POST fails, the BIOS reverts to default settings and reboots. This could be a result of memory settings or it could be something else.

I normally recommend running memtest over night, that way you are not tempted to stop it after 2-3 passes.

Remember that the memory controller is on your CPU. If the CPU is overheating while gaming, then you could have an error in the memory controller that looks a lot like a RAM problem. Are you overclocking the CPU at all?

Solution

TwitMeat

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
@TwitMeat

Nope,i did not overclock it at all

Nope,i did not overclock it at all
I think it's still worthwhile watching your CPU temps. the 3600x is not the hottest running CPU around, but if you work it hard it can put out some heat.

You mentioned the SSD. It's possible you have some data corruption and would be worth doing a disk scan. Also, are you keeping your virtual memory on the SDD or on the HDD.

Not easy past that. Could be a lot of things from driver corruption to a faulty PSU. Hard to say.

TwitMeat

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
I think it's still worthwhile watching your CPU temps. the 3600x is not the hottest running CPU around, but if you work it hard it can put out some heat.

You mentioned the SSD. It's possible you have some data corruption and would be worth doing a disk scan. Also, are you keeping your virtual memory on the SDD or on the HDD.

Not easy past that. Could be a lot of things from driver corruption to a faulty PSU. Hard to say.
I was just playing something right now and the highest temperature was 69,which i assume is normal.I'll have to let memtest run tonight and i'll see tomorrow if it has anything to do with the ram.If it's not the ram it can be anything from mobo to psu,i assume?
Also,i did not "play" around with the virtual memory so i think it's still on the hdd since i recently added the ssd