Question Getting BSOD While Playing DayZ

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Greetings everyone.

A few months back, I built a new system for myself.

i5 11400F with stock cooler fan, Gigabyte B560M-H Motherboard, MSI GTX 1080 with 2x8 GB's of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz RAM.

For the last month, I'm experiencing BSOD's only while playing DayZ. I generally play LoL, Apex Legends and a few single player horror games and have no issues with them whatsoever. But after I logged in to DayZ and played for about an hour so, I suddenly get BSOD or the game closes without any warning or error code and I was thinking it was because of the RAM or the RAM slots so I've changed slots, after that, I couldn't even log in to the game, instantly closes or BSOD's. Then I switched back and looked fine for a few hours and yesterday got the same problem again. I only have two RAM slots by the way.

I don't have any mods installed on DayZ. I play on official servers. I use Windows 11 and it's fairly fresh setup. ( a month back at most) and I don't have any other problems in any other games. (FPS drops, crashes, stutters etc.) Lastly I hear some distinct buzzing noise coming from the case and it only happens when DayZ is running. Noise is quite high pitched, like a mouise squeaking. I ran window's RAM diagnostic tool and got nothing. I checked the temperatures and CPU is always around 66 centigrates and GPU is around 70. When I tabbed out of the game the noise stops, and when I tab back in, it starts again. I couldn't figure out where it's coming from exactly but I'm guessing it's from the processor. I even stopped the GPU fans for a second with my hands to see if it's coming from them but it's not.

Sorry for the long post and explanation but I tried to give out every information I had and everything I did before I post here. Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Colif

Win 11 Master
Lastly I hear some distinct buzzing noise coming from the case and it only happens when DayZ is running. Noise is quite high pitched, like a mouise squeaking. I ran window's RAM diagnostic tool and got nothing. I checked the temperatures and CPU is always around 66 centigrates and GPU is around 70. When I tabbed out of the game the noise stops, and when I tab back in, it starts again. I couldn't figure out where it's coming from exactly but I'm guessing it's from the processor. I even stopped the GPU fans for a second with my hands to see if it's coming from them but it's not.
can you roll up a piece of paper and use it as a cone and see if you can isolate the sound by listening down it with side of case off when game is running

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Here are the minidump logs I've found.

Also I will try the method you mentioned to find the exact location of the noise

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
can you roll up a piece of paper and use it as a cone and see if you can isolate the sound by listening down it with side of case off when game is running
I'm fairly certain that noise is coming from either the CPU or the RAM's, although I don't know if RAM's make noise or not. I'm pretty sure it's CPU or its cooling fan. It's more distinct when I get close to the case, from outside, it's barely audible actually but I know some noise is coming from there.

Update: It's the GPU, a friend said it could be coming from the coils of the GPU since I play the game with some of the settings on high and ultra and that can put stress on it but when I changed the settings to low it didn't change. Then I ran the UserBenchmark app and I heard the same noise when it was testing my GPU. It started at some point of the testing. I'm 100% sure the source of the noise is the GPU.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
coil whine, I can't say if I ever heard it myself. Happens at high resolutions.

It seems undervolting can also help with coil whine

limiting fps can help.

Headphones work too... sound dampening foam. No glass side on case helps too. << these don't stop it, just make it less obvious.
Seems replacing PSU can also help.
Changing power outlet can do it too.

conversion of dumps

report - click run as fiddle to read

File: 041623-9125-01.dmp (Apr 16 2023 - 09:09:12)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: steamwebhelper)
Uptime: 3 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 15 Sec(s)

File: 041223-9031-01.dmp (Apr 12 2023 - 07:31:37)
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: nvcontainer.ex)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

File: 041223-12625-01.dmp (Apr 12 2023 - 07:19:44)
BugCheck: [PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: DayZ_x64.exe)
Uptime: 13 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 15 Sec(s)

victims of top 2 make me think it might be lan drivers (Process named is victim)
Memory corruption doesn't mean ram, even if you are using 2 individual sticks (not a set), Intel CPU can cope with that better than AMD, How long have you used both sticks?

i have seen these cause errors before
Nov 13 2018dtlitescsibus.sysDAEMON Tools Lite Virtual SCSI Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)
LAN Drivers:
Oct 04 2021rtcx21x64.sysRealtek LAN Drivers

Download Win11 Auto Installation Program (NetAdapterCx) from under windows header here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Last edited:
Reactions: cottoneyesergo

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
coil whine, I can't say if I ever heard it myself. Happens at high resolutions.

It seems undervolting can also help with coil whine

File: 041623-9125-01.dmp (Apr 16 2023 - 09:09:12)
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: steamwebhelper)
Uptime: 3 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 15 Sec(s)

File: 041223-9031-01.dmp (Apr 12 2023 - 07:31:37)
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: nvcontainer.ex)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

File: 041223-12625-01.dmp (Apr 12 2023 - 07:19:44)
BugCheck: [PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: DayZ_x64.exe)
Uptime: 13 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 15 Sec(s)

victims of top 2 make me think it might be lan drivers (Process named is victim)
Memory corruption doesn't mean ram, even if you are using 2 individual sticks (not a set), Intel CPU can cope with that better than AMD, How long have you used both sticks?
Thank you for your in-depth solution sir. As long as this coil whining isn't going to hurt my GPU or any other component, I'm actually okay with it, when I'm on headphones, I don't even recognise the whine is there.

As for memory sticks, I've been using them since I built the whole system, so for about 3-4 months I'd say. They're fairly new and were out of the box, not used.

I've downloaded the Ethernet controller and installed it as you said, so really the whole thing was about my ethernet and LAN driver? I thought the windows update got it all covered it seems it didn't. I hope this works sir, thank you again for your time and patience with me!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Coil whine doesn't damage card

The sound identified is coil whining, which is a sound that happens when vibration of the coil happens in the inductor. This usually happens when the graphics card is running a workload at a high frame rate. Even if you can hear the noise, this should not damage the card or affect functionality. This can happen on other graphics card products depending on components and design, but there are steps that can be taken to reduce the sound intensity. Some recommendations include:

• Capping the FPS to the refresh rate of the monitor or lower
  • Enabling V-Sync
  • Double checking the power supply efficacy
  • Reduce GPU throttling/overclocking

I don't know if it was the lan drivers, it was based on what crashed in top 2.
steamwebhelper is obvious but nvcontainer is used by Nvidia drivers to update, so both are internet related

If you have any more crashes, let me know.

Reactions: cottoneyesergo

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018

steamwebhelper is obvious but nvcontainer is used by Nvidia drivers to update, so both are internet related

Will do sir. Thank you so much again. Have a great one!

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
@Colif Hello again sir, You told me to hit you up again if I get another BSOD and as of today, I got a new BSOD again just half an hour ago. I checked the minidump folder again and did the same procedure as last time. Files look old in date, I don't know if windows created a minidump after this recent BSOD but these are the latest ones I could find.

I don't know if this helps but, in the windows event logs, I found some frequent errors. These include:

Application Popup Event 56 something something
DistributedCOM 10010
Service Control Manager NVidia local system controller 7031-7023
volmgr

Update:
Today I'm only getting crashes but no BSOD. In the event log it shows the following:

Update:
Other games started to crash. I don't even know anymore, no BSODs, just straight up crash without error code, return to desktop. Maybe I should just return those two sticks of RAM. It's probably because of them. Getting really frustrated here.

- <Event xmlns=" ">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" Guid="{a0e9b465-b939-57d7-b27d-95d8e925ff57}" />

<EventID>1000</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-04-24T15:00:07.3511897Z" />

<EventRecordID>5450</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="14912" ThreadID="7068" />

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>SERGEN-PC</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1704479345-2901406861-1560145159-1001" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="AppName">DayZ_x64.exe</Data>

<Data Name="AppVersion">0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data Name="AppTimeStamp">00000000</Data>

<Data Name="ModuleName">unknown</Data>

<Data Name="ModuleVersion">0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data Name="ModuleTimeStamp">00000000</Data>

<Data Name="ExceptionCode">00000000</Data>

<Data Name="FaultingOffset">0000000000000000</Data>

<Data Name="ProcessId">0x6b4</Data>

<Data Name="ProcessCreationTime">0x1d976bb62bc34ed</Data>

<Data Name="AppPath">C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\DayZ_x64.exe</Data>

<Data Name="ModulePath">unknown</Data>

<Data Name="IntegratorReportId">cade5f62-e768-472d-bd50-8276b40ac721</Data>

<Data Name="PackageFullName" />

<Data Name="PackageRelativeAppId" />

</EventData>

</Event>

Last edited:

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018

Today the game crashed again and in Event Logs, I saw this;

\Device\Video3
Error occurred on GPUID: 100

nvlddmkm driver stopped working and succesfully started back again.
Should I use DDU and remove all drivers and install them?

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Update:
No more BSODs but I'm getting crashes. It says Application Error with Error ID 1000.
Did some search before writing here but none of those solutions didn't work out. As I stated on my previous reply, I removed GPU drivers with DDU, did a clean driver setup from NVidia's site, now all I have is this error. Dead end. This is starting to drive me crazy :D

Colif

Win 11 Master
those 3 dumps are the same as the ones you gave before.

event ID 1000

this might help

right click start
choose Terminal (Admin)
If it doesn't open as Powershell, click the drop down arrow in title row and pick from list
copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

is it always same Application?

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
those 3 dumps are the same as the ones you gave before.

event ID 1000

this might help

right click start
choose Terminal (Admin)
If it doesn't open as Powershell, click the drop down arrow in title row and pick from list
copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

is it always same Application?
Yes it is. Always the same and only one. DayZ. No other app does this, nothing crashes but this.

Done all that you just mentioned. It said windows fixed some things, restarted the pc and STILL getting that crash.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Could be because you using 2 individual sticks of ram, not an actual set
8192MB3200MHzCorsairCMK8GX4M1E3200C16

Have you tried with just 1 stick in?

Intel CPU generally better at dealing with non matching ram but there is always the chance of errors.

I can tell its 2 sticks as a set of Corsair ram would have 16 where that 8 is.

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Could be because you using 2 individual sticks of ram, not an actual set

Have you tried with just 1 stick in?

Intel CPU generally better at dealing with non matching ram but there is always the chance of errors.

I can tell its 2 sticks as a set of Corsair ram would have 16 where that 8 is.
Yeah actually they came in two different packs. Even though they are the same brand and model. Yeah I played with only one stick each for half an hour for both sticks. I dont remember the game crashing but when I return home, I will test for an extended period of time and let you know.

Even if this is the case, what should I do?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its caused by running them both together, the only reasonable answer is to buy a set of 2 sticks.
There is a reason they sold in sets, those sticks been tested to work with each other. Individual sticks aren't tested to run with any other sticks.
If you bought them at same store at same time, they might work fine. Its less certain if they bought different times.

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
if its caused by running them both together, the only reasonable answer is to buy a set of 2 sticks.
There is a reason they sold in sets, those sticks been tested to work with each other. Individual sticks aren't tested to run with any other sticks.
If you bought them at same store at same time, they might work fine. Its less certain if they bought different times.
I tried with only one stick for about an hour. I couldn't test it out for extensive time but I think it works fine now. I bought them from the same store at the same time but as you said, they were two seperate but same model rams in two different boxes, 2 sticks of 1x8. It's been almost 4-5 months and haven't had any issues with them in DayZ until now. Can they cause problems like this after a while? And why do you think this only happens in one application?

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Update:
I get two consecutive BSODs with only one stick of RAM. Also Nvidia just updated the graphics driver again before I started to test but I don't think it has nothing to do with my problem.

Again, only in DayZ. I played just fine for a month or two when I first set up the PC (November 2022) and for the last couple of months this happens.

In the stop code it says; MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
I think that answers if the RAMs are faulty or not...
I'll just go ahead and try to sell these sticks and get new set of two sticks.

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Update: A few days ago, Nvidia rolled out a new driver, updated it. For the last 3 days, I've been playing DayZ for minimum 2 hour sittings and haven't had any blue screens

This inconsistency is killing me and if the reason is as simple as that DayZ had bad relationship with graphics drivers, I will be extremely happy and mad at the same time. I even thought going back to win10 because at the time I built the PC, i was using the win10 and had no problems. Windows update upgraded it to 11, I did a clean install of 11 because for some reason I don't like upgrades lol. This is as far as I went back trying to figure it out and it was my last resort.

TRENDING THREADS