Question Getting BSOD

Jan 15, 2023
Specs: Ryzen 5800x, 2x8 g.skill 4000mhz 18cl, aorus elite b550 v1(running bios F13)

So basically when I first got this pc I tried turning xmp on and the sytem would crash after a minute or two, think I got it stable at 3600,3666mhz after some trying. . The other day I noticed my ram was reset to it default speed, so I got back into overclocking...there were so many issues and instances of crashing so Im just going to summarize it...I ran ram from 4000-3400mhz, xmp and custom settings, later on I stuck with 3600mhz and just started to fiddle with voltage and latency but nothing really helped, system sometimes ran for 4 hours, sometimes 1 and sometimes even for 5minutes. Today when I woke up, I would not get any display output(fans were running, lights, but not the cpu fan on the aio) I cleared CMOS battery, shorted the pins, disconnected all of the components besides CPU, GPU, nothing helped, couldnt even get into BIOS...then a completley unlogical thing helped, It booted with only 1 stick of ram...After that after quite of troubleshooting I decided to use default settings but to change only the frequency to 3600mhz and It ran for the longest time but still crashed..adjusted a bit of settings thought I fixed it and still blue screen after 2,3 hours...I even ran AIDA and other tests to check stability and It worked for 1,2 hours at full load...And now here comes the situation now It crashes after 2 minutes of running after starting a game on the 3600mhz settings, xmp settings, default settings(2133), basically nothing helps...Is the ram fried? Should I update BIOS, any advice would be appreciated.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Don't update your bios if you can't get your PC stable. Look around for a replacement set of RAM, get it stable not running XMP and then update. Then go back in and update your chipset drivers if need be.

A newer bios/agesa could help stabilize whatever ram OC you decide you try.

Plenty of RAM available online, new or used. 4000 is not going to work on most AM4 CPU's. I'd shoot for a nice 3600mhz with flat 16-16-16 timings. Should be Bdie, should be more stable and potentially overclock better than most.

Shoot for the newest bios, should be the most stable.

Tough to say what's wrong now. I'd assume a fair amount of OS corruption.

To repair an installation of Windows 10 using the System File Checker tool, use these steps:
  1. Open Start.
  2. Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.
  3. Type the following command to repair the Windows 10 system files and press Enter: sfc /scannow.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023
I updated the bios and reinstalled windows. After I updated my BIOS, I turned my xmp on and played a game for about 40minutes before it crashed, after the crash I tried disabling XMP/running at default settings(even shorted the pins) and it would still crash...meaning the ram got too hot and its crashing/I fried it before the BIOS update, while testing different settings? ...Also while I was testing I tried running it at 3200, 3600, 3800, 4000 and there was no telling when it would crash...But after the no display output event it would no matter the settings it would crash constantly after 20-60min of playing and after it crashed once, no matter the settings it would crash after 2-5minutes...I dont know anymore, so many factors to consider.

If I would to buy lets say a new kit g.skill 2x8 3600mhz 18cl, how likely is it that it would run XMP in other words how likely is it that its an motherboard issue/storage?

Jan 15, 2023
I had it pass microsoft memory test, it ran passmark singular ram test and whole system stability, AIDA extreme test....from the looks of it it passes all of them...I also posted this on a reddit form and some guy said his pc was crashing because of his ram reaching 50celsius(his graphics card was blowing hot air into it)If i remember correctly mine also crashes at around 50 which would support my theory, its just wierd since I didnt have these issues...I will do some testing with hwmonitor opened and report back...

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Could certainly be the case. I know Samsung B-die ram can experience instability when overclocked and above 40C. If you have the option of mounting an intake fan above the ram in the case it should bring down temps.