Question Getting BSODs over and over again ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 14, 2022
Hello, everyone.

I have problems with my system since my build 2019.

BSODs with different error codes occur again and again. Sometimes daily or 1-2 days apart.

For example. IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, KERNEL STACK LOCKED AT EXIT etc. pp.

My current system consists of the following components:

• Ryzen 3600
• MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX (latest Bios)
• Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 (XMP 1 – 1.4v) or the crucials since christmas
• Nvidia GTX 1060
• 500W BeQuiet power supply

The RAM test was performed without results and even a fresh Windows installation 3 days ago did not help. I have already exchanged the Ram with a new set which is currently installed (Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 16GB Kit) which was not a solution, because the problems are still there.
The chipset driver, the BIOS and all other drivers are up-to-date.

Maybe someone of you has the same system and could solve the problem ?

I have attached old dump files as well as the new ones after the reinstallation on Wednesday.

Old Dumpfiles from 2021: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmInb2vWcioJcY2qMNvnfQbmsEk?e=Vsg5MQ
New Files from the last 3 days: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmInb2vWcioJcq31j-HKW8lcAuk?e=3CLgh2

I would be happy to receive tips from you!

All the best from Germany!
Limette

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/5u2okydg/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:041122-20000-01.dmp (Apr 11 2022 - 12:16:52)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 51 Min(s), and 13 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I used to think irq errors were easy... and then time passed... now I don't

slaps system with a hedgehog... doesn't help but makes me feel better... sorry. I try to be serious now.
it sort of looks like something I don't want to say again.
try running driver verifer again.

Jan 14, 2022
Hi @Colif and @gardenman

Here I am unfortunately again, after I had a relatively stable system for some time, but it got worse again last week.

It probably was the fault of a W11 update because otherwise nothing was recently installed. Since I couldn’t reset the system despite the recovery point (BSOD at 72%) I switched back to W10 with a clean install and of course had the old problems again.

I had run the driver verifier with a almost naked system and uploaded the dump files. So slowly I think that the motherboard is broken, it was one of the first Tomahawk MAX and was bitching a round with USB problems from the beginning.

What I noticed is that the SFC /SCAN NOW command repairs the same files over and over again after a BSOD. Can this be a clue?

How is your assessment is it worthwhile to look even further for the error or will it probably be some broken hardware?

Dumpfiles: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ci0g1u684uvskcc/AAD2pwVUCdp8PkO4kieaNgoba?dl=0

Thanks for your Time!

Colif

Win 11 Master
What I noticed is that the SFC /SCAN NOW command repairs the same files over and over again after a BSOD. Can this be a clue?

right click start button

choose Windows Terminal (admin)
if it doesn't open as powershell, click the arrow in the title row and choose powershell

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

it might stop sfc fixing same files each time.
if it doesn't, can you upload a copy of the cbs log file and I see what they say.

um, i look at dumps and see what they show.

Reactions: Limette
Jan 14, 2022
So looks like my system is allergic against every kind of wifi device... Does anyone of you now why that is happening is it the mainboard or is it windows? I mean they sell these sticks to a lot of people. All these sticks are connect via USB.

Colif

Win 11 Master
fwuac430mu.sys
FRITZ! AVM Extensible Wireless LAN Device driver
Source: https://www.pconlife.com/viewfileinfo/fwuac430mu-w8-x64-sys/
those are the same drivers I pointed out in my 2nd post in this thread.

how many wifi sticks have you used? Are they all the same?
You better off buying a new WIFI adapter
get one labelled one of the below
  • WIFI6
  • AX
  • AC2100
as they all the newest variety. Might cost more but will last a few years. And will have newer drivers.

Jan 14, 2022
I actually got 3 - This one is a pretty good brand here in germany. The second one is from TP Link (I could try that again on W10) and the last one is a no name china stick from amazon.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what model is tp link?
it might use a realtek chip. I can look.

Chinese one doesn't fill me with hope.
lots of cheaper USB WIFI use chips that are old, and the drivers have been troublesome in recent years. Its why I generally suggest newer more expensive ones marked one of the 3 descriptions I gave. I expect their drivers won't be a problem for at least 5 years.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jan 14, 2022
I think its v5 or v6, it depends on the code.
Stick.jpg

generally, for an access violation in a hid function you would want to
update
BIOS, cpu chipset drivers, any motherboard external USB 3.x driver+firmware
update any firmware for any usb device you have installed.

Then go into windows control panel, device manager, find the menu option to show any hidden devices and turn on the option.
then look at the list and delete any entry that is grayed out. Windows only hides the driver of removed devices, the driver still has access to all of the usb packets and a removed device can still break usb functions.

since you were running verifier.exe at the time, if you change the memory dump type to kernel it would have the error logs included in the dump and we might be able to see the actual device that was having the problem. Now, we assume it is the USB ethernet but it could still be the port driver, the hub driver or a filter driver that is the actual problem, since the problem was an access violation it could still be other things.
verifier.exe /reset
(to turn off verifier testing)

you can add
/bootmode oneboot
to your verifier options so verifier is automatically turned off after one bootup.

verifier | Microsoft Docs

/bootmode [persistent | disableafterfail | oneboot | resetonunusualshutdown]Controls whether the settings for the Driver Verifier utility are enabled after a reboot. To set or change this option, you must reboot the computer. The following modes are available:
  • persistent - Ensures that the Driver Verifier settings persist (stay in effect) over many reboots. This is the default setting.
  • disableafterfail - If Windows fails to start, this setting disables the Driver Verifier utility for subsequent reboots.
  • oneboot - Only enables the Driver Verifier settings for the next time the computer starts. The Driver Verifier utility is disabled for subsequent reboots.
  • resetonunusualshutdown - The Driver Verifier utility will persist until an unusual shutdown occurs. Its abbrevation, 'rous', can be used.

I looked at the minidump provided
it was a verifier catching an access violation in a call to a hid driver.
(passed a memory address =2)

you should change the memory dump type to kernel and provide the kernel dump
c:\windows\memory.dmp
this will provide internal error logs for devices and will show the plug and play system info and the USB and Hid device info.

i do not see the hid filter driver any more but verifier still caught a error in the driver call. could be a bug in the logitech filter driver.
logi_joy_vir_hid.sys
logi_joy_xlcore.sys
logi_joy_bus_enum.sys

you can turn of verifier and maybe the driver will handle the bad call

Jan 14, 2022
Ok so the files say that the verifier was still active? I actually thought that i have disabled it by starting it in safe mode and clicking on "Delete existing settings"

Jan 14, 2022
Hi Guys @johnbl, @Colif @gardenman

So I had 4 days without BSODs and thought I had found the problem. My system, however, had a different opinion.

I had taken my old Galaxy S10e and used the USB thethering option instead of my WIFI Sticks. The computer recognises this as an ethernet cable.

However, today I had 3 BSODs throughout the day without installing anything. Ive uploaded them to my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0dqled0u2rel91k/AADFHmeLLafoUYdr74ertIT0a?dl=0

This time no WIFI device was connected and the ethernet connection runs via the realtek driver.

Maybe we can narrow the search down a little bit.

Thanks for taking the time guys!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS