Question Getting BSODs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
I don't necessarily know what to do in my situation. Basically, my computer has been built for probably around 5 months now, never had a blue screen or system crash, and have built a couple PCs now. However, coming back after a weekend of the system being off and inactive, I started to frequently get BSODs, specifically irql_not_less_or_equal, kernel security check failure, dpc watchdog violation, and page fault in non paged area are the ones I have seen the most and remember. I have looked up fixes on each of them and tried the reccomended things i've seen but to no success. I have used ddu, tried older drivers, tried new drivers, reinstalled windows, wiped all drives, taken apart and cleaned system. I am pretty comfortable with the hardware side of problems, but this seems to be very much not that, and am in need of some help if anyone can get an idea for whaat is going on.

I have actually seen some posts on here recently about BSODs, but I have no clue what is happening when they are talking about potential fixes or even if they are the same problem, sorry for the ignorance on all of this software stuff, it has just never happened to me.

The specs of my PC are

Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
MSI Pro b450M
32 GB G Skill Ripjaws (2 2x8 kits)
Samsung 980 series 1TB M.2 SSD
1TB Sata SSD
1TB HDD
Windows 10 Enterprise

Like I said, nothing like this has ever happened before on this PC so its really out of nowhere. I will be keeping closely posted to this thread so please feel to ask for more information on what I might have done, or if you need me to carry out some steps.

Thanks a lot in advance

Colif

Win 11 Master
i missed Gardenman's reply...

2nd error: Page fault in non paged area caused by Nvidia drivers.
You appear to have newest but that isn't always best idea with Nvidia drivers
Try running DDU in safe mode, remove all Nvidia drivers, and once back in normal mode, run windows update and let MIcrosoft find drivers for the GPU. It should recognise card

appears to me you need new lan drivers
Oct 28 2019rt640x64.sysRealtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver https://www.realtek.com/en/
download Win10 Auto Installation Program (NDIS) from under the windows header here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

see if those help

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
i missed Gardenman's reply...

2nd error: Page fault in non paged area caused by Nvidia drivers.
You appear to have newest but that isn't always best idea with Nvidia drivers
Try running DDU in safe mode, remove all Nvidia drivers, and once back in normal mode, run windows update and let MIcrosoft find drivers for the GPU. It should recognise card

appears to me you need new lan drivers
Oct 28 2019rt640x64.sysRealtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver https://www.realtek.com/en/
download Win10 Auto Installation Program (NDIS) from under the windows header here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

see if those help
Ok so: I used ddu in safe mode, then once again in normal and no problem. Used device manager to navigate windows updating my 2070 Super to the recommended drivers, and it said it was at them. Then went to download steam to test if it crashes under loads like games and it crashes on Microsoft edge. It might be helpful to note that on my search engines during this era of bsods, sometimes my pages just crash and need to be refreshed displaying: status access violation. Like a precursor of a bsod or something. Really not sure what to do tbh.

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
Ok so: I used ddu in safe mode, then once again in normal and no problem. Used device manager to navigate windows updating my 2070 Super to the recommended drivers, and it said it was at them. Then went to download steam to test if it crashes under loads like games and it crashes on Microsoft edge. It might be helpful to note that on my search engines during this era of bsods, sometimes my pages just crash and need to be refreshed displaying: status access violation. Like a precursor of a bsod or something. Really not sure what to do tbh.
Just updated the lan drivers you sent too and followed the steps. Haven't crashed yet and seems responsive but only been a couple minutes. Will update.

disable AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys Thu Jun 24 22:21:58 2021
and reboot to see if you still bugcheck.
you can use this tool to disable the driver:
Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
find the driver name and uncheck it so it does not get loaded.

I looked at the bugchecks and they look like cpu issues that could be caused by bad settings being passed from AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys

Note: this is the first machine I have seen that actually runs these (raid?) drivers:
rcbottom.sys Mon Aug 30 06:58:55 2021 (612CE41F)
rccfg.sys Mon Aug 30 06:58:58 2021 (612CE422)
rcraid.sys Mon Aug 30 06:59:43 2021 (612CE44F)

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
disable AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys Thu Jun 24 22:21:58 2021
and reboot to see if you still bugcheck.
you can use this tool to disable the driver:
Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
find the driver name and uncheck it so it does not get loaded.

I looked at the bugchecks and they look like cpu issues that could be caused by bad settings being passed from AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys

Note: this is the first machine I have seen that actually runs these (raid?) drivers:
rcbottom.sys Mon Aug 30 06:58:55 2021 (612CE41F)
rccfg.sys Mon Aug 30 06:58:58 2021 (612CE422)
rcraid.sys Mon Aug 30 06:59:43 2021 (612CE44F)
I am on a new install of windows now and have yet to install Ryzen Master, and double checked anyways to make sure the driver was present in autoruns but it was not unfortunately

I have reached a point now where I can’t even download discord, it gets about halfway and crashed on apc index mismatch
did you update the bios and install the cpu chipset drivers?
also, update the cpu firmware ?

the ryzen master driver is not needed unless you are tweaking a particular setting for some reason. this driver overrides the bios settings. most amd systems do not run this driver.

just-user

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
I have reached a point now where I can’t even download discord, it gets about halfway and crashed on apc index mismatch
have you made any changes on your PC lately like flashing a new bios?
if you did then roll back to the last working one because i had simimar issue with my PC and fixed it that way

Colif

Win 11 Master
i can't tell what BIOS they are as the system reports the System BIOS number for MSI PC, so all I see is B.40, but MSI BIOS codes look more like 7A38vB4 which is the version I think they have. Its date is around when they installed it.
In which case, as of last dump Gardenman converted, there is 9 new BIOS updates without including the Beta.
Don't install the Beta
MSI show you how to update

latest chipset drivers - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450
also, update the cpu firmware ?
what is CPU firmware?

have you made any changes on your PC lately like flashing a new bios?

it doesn't appear they flashed to a new BIOS recently, as the installed BIOS is from 2019

bios has the cpu micro code patches
when I refer to the cpu firmware I am talking about the cpu security cores that amd and intel have linux running on. Lots of updates for them since they have been hacked and the bios updates have been pushed out to the motherboard vendors. intel management engine firmware for the intel cpu. Not sure what it is called for the AMD cpu. I do not pay much attention to the AMD systems so I don't know much about them.
-----------
amd version is calledAMD’s Secure Processor
AMD’s PSP
was called Platform Security Processor or PSP
info was from here:
AMD’s Secure Processor Firmware Is Now Explorable ... - AMD Community

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Intel & AMD both run secure boot function on the cores. AMD use an ARM core.
They are also responsible for the TPM functions.
They boot before rest of cores on CPU are able to start. Since they provide the environment the BIOS runs in.
I think the AMD updates come as part of bios updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnbl

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
Ok so I read all of the thread and should clarify first, I was getting the constant crashes trying to install programs on the fresh install before I did anything to the bios. I then flashed the most recent bios yesterday and nothing changed in the end. It felt responsive and good until I tried downloading discord. So unfortunately I’m still at a loss for a fix unless there was something else recommended I missed

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
MSI Pro b450M
32 GB G Skill Ripjaws (2 2x8 kits)
Samsung 980 series 1TB M.2 SSD
1TB Sata SSD
1TB HDD
Windows 10 Enterprise

where did you get enterprise from? Its not something that comes on a PC normally

I can't read the dumps myself until someone converts them, but what BSOD messages you getting?

Since its a new install we have to think the problem is hardware, and probably not software. Especially if its crashing just from installing programs.

Did you grab any drivers for the board?

Where are you installing programs to?
what make/models are the hdd?

if it lets you, install Magician and run diagnostics tests on the 980 - https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/
You can run HDTune to check the other hdd - https://www.hdtune.com/

WE have checked the ram

Last edited:

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
where did you get enterprise from? Its not something that comes on a PC normally

I can't read the dumps myself until someone converts them, but what BSOD messages you getting?

Since its a new install we have to think the problem is hardware, and probably not software. Especially if its crashing just from installing programs.

Did you grab any drivers for the board?

Where are you installing programs to?
what make/models are the hdd?

if it lets you, install Magician and run diagnostics tests on the 980 - https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/
You can run HDTune to check the other hdd - https://www.hdtune.com/

WE have checked the ram
I don’t remember but it was just from my windows key, as for the dumps they were the same but just posting in case anything changed after the attempted fixes

Tomorrow or the next day (depending on time) I will be swapping parts with one of my friends pcs (same chipset and compatibility) to see if we can figure anything out as we also think it might be up to hardware now.

ill keep checking and replying to the forum and also bring updates if I get any

The SSD is an adata su800 Sata and a Samsung 980. There was a WD hard drive but it isn’t being used currently

TRENDING THREADS