[SOLVED] Getting CPU error light on motherboard when I attempt to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwill602

Reputable
Jul 7, 2020
Solution
If everything turns on, do you think it would be the PSU? Are there some units that just don't supply enough power?
The 650Watt PSU you picked is more than enough for your system. With your selection of parts, they shouldn't use more than 330-360watt at peak power draw and likely won't go over 320watt when gaming. If something is wrong with the PSU supplying power, it would probably be with the CPU power rail, because you are seeing a CPU error led light up. In-fact, since you have a modular PSU, make sure to check the wires plugged into the PSU are fully plugged in. I know on some of my modular power supplies, the cables are sometimes difficult to plug in all the way.

If the cables are not loose, you probably just need to RMA...
Here is my parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mkk3p8
Pictures of the buid: View: https://imgur.com/a/hvklOyq

Everything appears to be connected properly. I tried booting with one stick of RAM, double checked for no debris around/under the CPU, but nothing is helping. Every time I boot, the motherboard's "CPU" error light turns on and nothing shows up on my display. Any thoughts on what this could be?
Is there a "AMD Ryzen Desktop 3000 Ready" sticker on motherboard box ? If no, I assume the BIOS need update to support the R5 3600.

Everything appears to be connected properly. I tried booting with one stick of RAM, double checked for no debris around/under the CPU, but nothing is helping. Every time I boot, the motherboard's "CPU" error light turns on and nothing shows up on my display. Any thoughts on what this could be?
You should take the heat-sink off and check that you didn't accidentally bend a CPU pin during installation. You might just have a defective CPU and may need to return it for a refund/replacement.

Is there a "AMD Ryzen Desktop 3000 Ready" sticker on motherboard box ? If no, I assume the BIOS need update to support the R5 3600.
MSI B450 Max boards are Ryzen 3000 ready. They're a release of the original with some of them having slight component upgrades.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz

jwill602

Reputable
Jul 7, 2020
You should take the heat-sink off and check that you didn't accidentally bend a CPU pin during installation. You might just have a defective CPU and may need to return it for a refund/replacement.

MSI B450 Max boards are Ryzen 3000 ready. They're a release of the original with some of them having slight component upgrades.
Thanks for the help! Nothing was bent. I tried with another CPU (returned the one I had to the store for an exchange) and still had the same errors. I went through the process of trying with only one stick of RAM, trying each one separately. Any other ideas? The light comes on immediately upon pressing the power button.

Thanks for the help! Nothing was bent. I tried with another CPU (returned the one I had to the store for an exchange) and still had the same errors. I went through the process of trying with only one stick of RAM, trying each one separately. Any other ideas? The light comes on immediately upon pressing the power button.
You might need to RMA the motherboard. It's also possible the PSU has some issue. If you have another PSU, try test with that to see if it changes anything. If nothing changes, I'd say you should RMA the board to where you bought it or with the manufacturer. You could also try moving the GPU down to the lower x16 slot.

jwill602

Reputable
Jul 7, 2020
You might need to RMA the motherboard. It's also possible the PSU has some issue. If you have another PSU, try test with that to see if it changes anything. If nothing changes, I'd say you should RMA the board to where you bought it or with the manufacturer. You could also try moving the GPU down to the lower x16 slot.
If everything turns on, do you think it would be the PSU? Are there some units that just don't supply enough power?

The 650Watt PSU you picked is more than enough for your system. With your selection of parts, they shouldn't use more than 330-360watt at peak power draw and likely won't go over 320watt when gaming. If something is wrong with the PSU supplying power, it would probably be with the CPU power rail, because you are seeing a CPU error led light up. In-fact, since you have a modular PSU, make sure to check the wires plugged into the PSU are fully plugged in. I know on some of my modular power supplies, the cables are sometimes difficult to plug in all the way.

If the cables are not loose, you probably just need to RMA the motherboard. It's one of those situations where you can't easily identify the problem without having other parts on hand to test with.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.