Question Getting desperate with new build. Can't play use any kind of recording software such as Instant Capture on games that use DX12 without crashing.

ghostayane

Honorable
Jan 28, 2018
It has been about a month now since I built my new PC, and buy new I mean new everything except for my GPU. Here are my specs below.

Windows 11 Pro
Gigabyte X670 Elite AX (using latest BIOS F7b)
Ryzen 7 7700X
MSI 3080ti Gaming X (same GPU from previous build)
G.Skill 32GB RAM 6000MHz EXPO (supported by MoBo according to website)
EVGA GT1000W

So here is the full deal. I use Shadowplay's Instant Capture set to 10 minutes, always have for YEARS even since my previous build (Windows 10 Pro, 3700X, 3080ti, 32GB RAM, EVGA750W). Never had any single issues until this PC build. It is the strangest thing and absolutely no rhyme or reason why any of it is happening, but ONLY happens if Instant Capture is turned on and most of the time the crash will occur within 3-5 minutes . For example, Dead Space, if I start a new game I get a DXGI_DEVICE_ERROR_HUNG before ever even getting to the Ishimura. Sometimes I make it and can play, most every time I can't. Strangest thing is that sometimes I can make it when at a resolution of 5160x2160 (3440x1440 native btw). Shadow of the Tomb Raider crashes within 5 minutes, a couple of times it didn't one of those few times once again at a resolution of 5160x2160. Aliens Fireteam Elite crashes on DX12 within 5 minutes, Control crashes within 5 minutes. I even tested Lost Judgmentawhile ago with no crash at 6880x2880 no crash, but tonight it did after about 10-15 minutes. Recently that RE4R Demo came out, yep crashed within 2 minutes. Now strangest thing is about all these games is if Instant Capture is turned off I can play all these games absolutely no problems whatsoever no crashes. Games I know for sure I haven't had a problem with are Deep Rock Galactic DX12, Wo Long Fallen Dynasty (took a week off work for this and haven't had a single issue since release last week), and Monster Hunter Rise.

Here is everything I have tried:
Ensure all temps are fine.
Ensuring everything was plugged in properly.
Ensuring everything was receiving proper amount of power.
Turning off all OC's on every component.
Reseating GPU and RAM.
Trying 1 module at a time.
Increasing RAM voltage.
Stress testing GPU via Unigine, Furmark while recording and no faults. (because these aren't DX12)
Reinstalling Windows 11.
Memtests with no errors.
Ordered a new kit of RAM just in case the memtests were wrong.
DDU'd many, many times and trying previous versions of drivers that even worked on my last PC.
Lowering graphic settings on said DX12 games (works but why in the world do I have to play at 1080p low settings?)
Xbox Game Bar works but the recording quality is so low so I don't want to use.
Tried OTHER recording software still crash assuming the quality of the recording is high quality.
Monitored VRAM and RAM and GPU usage during gameplay (no spikes in VRAM, RAM or anything out of the ordinary)

It has been about a month since I built this PC and I am damn near ready to pull my hair out trying to figure this out. I am sure I have tried more things but I can't remember everything I have done over the past month trying to figure this out. DX11, OpenGL, Vulcan have absolutely no issues at all I have played several games that don't use DX12 with no issues at all. I guess if you don't use this software it wouldn't be a problem but I do and I would very much so like to be able to use it and record stuff when I want and with most games being DX12 in the future I will have to turn this feature off when I shouldn't have to. Like does recording add THAT much extra power onto the GPU? When playing games withand with it on it adds only about an extra 200-350VRAM max, like with RE4R I played with max settings but texture quality to high (4GB of VRAM) still crashed cranked it up to the 8GB version and not recording added more VRAM usage but absolutely no problems. I can't imagine my 3080ti developed a problem within 24 hours from being in my last PC to current PC, but I suppose not impossible. I can provide full crash dumps but the error I am getting each crash is video_engine_timeout_detected (141) accoridng to Windows dump logs, the built in dump logs for Dead space say something along the lines of Dead_Space!ffxGetCommandListDX12+0x and after that sequence every error just lists numbers and letters.

I am beginning to believe it is a software conflict or Windows issue since DX12 is built into Windows. As I mentioned my last PC was Windows 10 and it didn't have this problem. I don't know, I don't believe it's a hardware problem because why would hardware pick and choose when to work and only under certain conditions such as only DX12 games and only while recording? That doesn't make too much sense to me especially since they work without recording just fine. I am desperate for help so if anyone has anything please help.

Last edited:

ghostayane

Honorable
Jan 28, 2018
I have not tried going back to Windows 10, but it has crossed my mind to go back to 10. I figured since it was a new build might as well go with a fresh install of Windows 11 there is nothing I use that requires Windows 11. Some people have told me Windows 11 is basically Windows 10 so going back won't matter anyway which is why I am hesitant to even try.

Is there a way to save my current Windows 11 configuration as is to another drive so I can format and try 10 and if it doesn't work I can just use the back up to just pick up where my current set up of 11 is?

Last edited:
It is simpla and takes a couple hours time max.
Install new drive.
Disconnect all drives except for new one.
Boot and install windows on new drive.
Update drivers and windows.
If you games are on the win 11 drive or other drives reconnect them.
Install steam/game launchers and point them to your drive that contains your game files.

Win11 has had quite a few "gaming" bugs. even if it is based on 10.
One of the reasons I am always a year or so behind on adopting new tech.
Let everyone who has to have the latest be the beta testers.

Reactions: Tac 25

ghostayane

Honorable
Jan 28, 2018
Alright, I don't have a spare drive to install 10 to, but I have my 11 key so I can always fresh install back up to 11 if need be. Not sure if I have time today to do a fresh install of 10, but I will give it a shot and see if that my sinking suspicion that it was a Win11 issue was right. In the meantime if anyone else have any suggestions I am open to trying.

ghostayane

Honorable
Jan 28, 2018
So I did end up going back to Windows 10 today and so far Dead Space hasn't crashed and I am freely able to make it to the Ishimura, Shadow of the Tomb Raider didn't crash after a 15 minutes play session when it normally crashes within 5 minutes. The RE4R demo I managed to play beginning to end with no crash. I am fairly certain Windows 11 is the problem and I don't want to say solved just yet, but it appears Windows 11, recording software, and high GPU usage games don't mix well.

Reactions: Tac 25