Question Getting disconnects from games, everything else is fine.

Nov 28, 2021
Hi guys,

I´ve got a new internet provider since I moved earlier this year.

My hardware and software hasn´t changed, other than the new modem / router from the new ISP.

I´m regularly getting disconnects from pretty much any game I play, but everything else (Twitch, Discord, Downloads) is fine.

I´ve tried flushing and renewing DNS, repairing those games clients, everything is up to date. Maybe it´s an issue with ports?

Hope you can help me, cheers.

Nov 28, 2021
P.S.: My old ISP sent me a modem (no wifi), and I connected that to a wifi router.
My new ISP sent me his wifi modem with router included, so I have only that connected to my PC.

Nov 28, 2021
If you leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 do you get packet loss or maybe very large latency spikes...like over 100ms.
Im trying right now, but the disconnects from my games are not that common, so like once a day or every other day.
Constant ping to any wegpage (ping -n 9999 www.google.com) didnt have any packet loss while beeing disconnected from my game.

The generally means the connection between your house and google is fine. The path to the game company servers might follow a different path but the path from your pc to your router and the router to the first ISP router is the same so if those were the cause you would see it on all sites.
Problems past that point can be hard to get fixed. It could be in the game company ISP or maybe the server has a issue.

It could also be some bug in the game this is very hard to say many times.

Not sure what to recommend. You could try a ping to the game server if it will respond. Many do not to prevent the script kiddies from trying to DOS the server with ping. Other wise run a trace to the server and ping whatever router nearest the game company that will respond. Problem is this just tells you if it is a network issue or if it is some issue with the game. It does not really help you fix it.

Maybe try to disable IPv6 in the nic settings. It is a long shot but IPv6 follows a different path over the internet so if the game users IPv6 it might have a issue.

Nov 28, 2021
Its not the game, its all games I play. It has to be my new ISP or the new router.
Also, turning off IPv6 (I tried that) wont let me use my printer, he seems to be connected via IPv6.
Is there a way to make it connect via IPv4?

That would be strange, most things if they have limits only support IPv4.

I would still turn off ipv6 and see if it fixes your internet issue and then worry about the printer later. It depends on the printer but you should be able to set it to a IPv4 address.

It is not likely it is your router. The traffic to 8.8.8.8 must go through the same router and it does not have issues. Maybe there is some setting limiting game traffic. Try a factory reset of the router and then set only the admin and wifi passwords. Do not configure anything else espeically anything related to QoS.

So maybe your issue is very random. I would leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 in a background window. Then use you computer as normal and if you detect a issue quickly check the ping window and see if it also see errors of any kind.