[SOLVED] Getting everything new except HDDs

Luke2323

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
Hello, I am soon gonna replace my whole PC except the HDDs. Would I have to perform a Windows reinstall since this is a really big upgrade for me? Any help is appreciated.

Solution
You should backup your important data and reinstall windows with the new hardware.

It´s possible to just install the HDDs in the new system and boot from it. After that you can either reset windows or check that all drivers are installed correctly.
You should backup your important data and reinstall windows with the new hardware.

It´s possible to just install the HDDs in the new system and boot from it. After that you can either reset windows or check that all drivers are installed correctly.

Solution
Your best bet would be wipe and reinstall clean. If you wanted, you could leave all drives disconnected except your SSD/boot drive, reformat that, and then connect the others. I've done that method before when I've had all my games in steam on another drive so that I didn't have to download them all again. Just when you told it to download, you had to point to the proper drive and it would find them and configure them to work.

Luke2323

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
And how would I wipe it? Do I just install new windows and it will do it automatically? Thanks for your help. And if it does boot up how do I check to make sure everything is working? Thank you

Edit: Would just doing the repair thing work if there are problems with Windows?

Last edited: