Getting fewer FPS than expected

SirDarknight

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013
I bought a Zotac 1070 Amp Extreme yesterday. My build is:

i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz
Asrock Z77 Extreme4
8GB DDR3 Twinmos

In 1080p, I'm getting about 25-30FPS in Forza Horizon 3, this is the settings I'm using:

and this is my nVidia Control Panel settings:

And I get about 40-55FPS in GTA V with similar settings (MSAA 4x) and in Witcher 3,I do get 60FPS but it sometimes drops below 50.

Is it my RAM bottlenecking or something else?

Solution

Hmm... It seems that your GPU is getting bottlenecked. Either that, or you have set some sort of FPS target in some software or the other. Firstly, make sure there are no FPS targets in the monitoring software you are using, also make sure that VSync is off, and that there is no FPS limit set for the games in Nvidia Control Panel. If the issue persists, go into the BIOS and make sure you haven't disabled any of the CPU cores.

You RAM is also being utilized fully, so that might be the problem.
Did you do a fresh install of the display drivers after installing the new GPU? Make sure you are running the latest drivers. If it isn't a fresh install of drivers, download DDU and remove all current display drivers, then install the newest version for your GPU from nvidia's site.

It's not your hardware. Like the guy above said, you have some driver and/or resource conflicts going on from your previous GPU embedded in the Windows root directory. You can't just swap/upgrade a GPU even among Nvidia's own brands and then run with it. Not even Nvidia's driver removal utility will do the job correctly, let alone Window's de-installer program through the control panel. You have to completely wipe out all remnants of the previous drivers with an aftermarket drive sweeper like DDU or CCLeaner.

SirDarknight

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013

I did that, I cleaned my previous drivers with DDU and installed new drivers with Geforce Experience. I ran some benchmarks and compared them online and the scores are just fine if not better. It's the games that are the problems. Even after disabling all advanced graphics in GTA V(MSAA 4X), I get 45-55 FPS in average. FH3 is not playable at all, 25-30 FPS in Ultra.

When running through Steam, do you have all background programs disabled including antivirus/security programs? Also FH3 is notorious for being a terrible optimized console port to the PC as far as performance is concerned but there was a patch released last year that alleviated some performance issues. Did you patch it?

I assume regarding Witcher 3 you have Hairworks turned off. For reference, I was getting mid-70s in W3 with two 970s in SLI at 1440p and maxed quality settings plus 4xAA without Hairworks. That roughly translates to 90s-low 100s at 1080p.

As you said, your scores are the same if not better than ones you found online. FH3 is one of the most demanding games there is. Just turn a few settings down. Every game is different, you can't expect the same results.

SirDarknight

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013

Youtube gameplays with this same settings and config show much more performance than I'm getting

I thought you said you had the same or better benchmark results than those you found online. Don't go off youtube videos, they are not very reliable much of the time.

Hmm... It seems that your GPU is getting bottlenecked. Either that, or you have set some sort of FPS target in some software or the other. Firstly, make sure there are no FPS targets in the monitoring software you are using, also make sure that VSync is off, and that there is no FPS limit set for the games in Nvidia Control Panel. If the issue persists, go into the BIOS and make sure you haven't disabled any of the CPU cores.

You RAM is also being utilized fully, so that might be the problem.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS