Getting files after formatting an external drive

G

Hello,
i have a WD 320gb harddrive that i was using in an old laptop,to which broke. i decided to get a new laptop and get my files of tis harddrive as i have loads of pics etc from years back. My question is,how do i get them off? Do i have to format it in disk management?

Do not format the drive or the data will disappear and it will be more difficult to retrieve the files.

Buy a 2.5-inch external hard drive enclosure and install the drive in it. Then plug the enclosure into a power socket and into the laptop's USB port.

G

, yer thanks for that i have been given a usb-sata hd cable and it seems my harddrive may be broken/corrupt my computer wont pick it up,its not viewable in device manager or disc management either even after 15 mins of waiting. Itll power up,spin then stop thn start to boot uo agan but not connect/show any data.
I tried a spare hd i had and that worked,it connected and showed up in disk management.

weird thing is every now and then my hd will connect,install driver then aprox 5 seconds into it itll disconnect,stop spinning then power up again and not connect. From what iv read there could be a problem on the board? so would an enclosure still work?

thanks

G

thanks but thats the wong type of lead,mine is a 17+5 pin cable i have.

G

Rightjust gone and purchased 1 of these ^^ as it was the cheapest option (rather than swapping boards over from another hd) but the enclosure i have purchased says i dnt need an external power suppy. A mate said theyre good BUT if this dont work then il have no option but to get another hd and swap the boards.

paul1911

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Damage board is just your guess, it may have got damage from inside. Do u hear any kind of clicking noise? When u power ON the drive, pick it up too see if its spins. Hard drive generates a magnetic type of field. When u pick it up, you will know.
If HD is spinning, then board may be fine.
You should have bought a usb which ask for separate power supply. Try if u can replace.
Then, without connecting the usb, first power the hard drive, keep the hard drive on your hand. First it will spin then slows down. You can feel.
Then connect a usb. It should spin again. If spin then your board is fine otherwise gone!

paul1911

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
You didn't got me.
You got a usb adapter where u dont need external power supply.
If u can connect both data and power cable to the drive separately, then first connect power cable to the drive. Keep this drive on your palm/hand.
Now you will feel that drive spins up, then after few seconds the spinning speed will slow down, u can feel this thing on your hand.

Now, when the spinning speed become idle. Connect the usb cable to the laptop. Now the hard drive will again start spinning.
If its spins again, then your board is fine, because information is being transferred therefore it spins.
And if you got no response after connecting usb. Then it is sure that board is gone.

G

well i dont know how im going to do that cos its a usb powered enclosure with no power lead needed.will see when i get it.
t
hing is with the lead i have now,it powers up fine and spins,no ticking etc

G

to continue from this,it is now connecting on anothr laptop BUT it is asking me t format before i use it.
will 1 of thoe recovery programs recover all my files afte i have formattd it to get it to work?
its still not connecting unless i click 'format it

TRENDING THREADS