• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Getting framedrops on some games, what could be causing it and how can I fix it?

denislenut

Commendable
Jun 16, 2018
My system has the following components:
i5 4460
GTX 960 4GB (Comes OC from factory to 1380Mhz)
8 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz CL9 (2x4 setup on dual channel)
1TB HDD 7200RPM (Healthy as I bought it recently, its a Seagate Barracuda)
600W 80 Plus Silver PSU
And Im running on Windows 10 Pro
I also made a test on UserBenchmark, here's the link:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28367240

I play on 1080p resolution and I also keep my PC clean, no virus, no stupid background programs, I disabled every startup program, etc. So when I play the only things that are running in the background are Windows Defender, Logitech G Hub, Steam, Nvidia GeForce Experience and sometimes Discord, nothing else. My temps are also really good, CPU wont go over 60ºC and GPU very rarely gets to 70ºC, it averages at 67-68.
I also keep my PC clean as I remove dust from time to time and I also completely disassemble it (once a year or so) and replace thermal paste, clean the dust of the CPU cooler, dust filters, fans, motherboard and GPU.

So on games such as Grand Theft Auto V, I can play it at 60fps or more on high settings, but I get framedrops. I get framedrops even at lowest settings. It happens especially while driving fast on areas where there's a lot of stuff such as the city of Los Santos. Its really annoying as it completely ruins the experience sometimes. I tried to play with everything closed but Steam and I also do get those annoying framedrops, they get reduced but they're still there sometimes.
I'd say this might be just not powerful enough hardware, but Im not sure what it is, maybe more RAM? maybe some SSD?
I'd like to know your thoughts on this. This also happens on Black Desert Online (but that game its known by its non existant optimization so I guess its normal).

On other games like Rainbow Six Siege, Assetto Corsa, BeamNG, Minecraft, the PC runs completely smooth even on high settings, Im also aware that Rainbow has smaller maps, not an entire open world map like GTA V, but Its still weird, I mean my PC is no big deal but it isnt complete trash either, I got it back on the beginning of 2016 and it's been running well, plus GTA V is a game that came out in 2014 so my GPU should be capable of running it without framedrops.

What would you guys do in my situation? Do you think its just weak hardware? Unoptimized game? Damaged hardware? Some kind of software issue?

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS