Getting free Windows 10 from preview build on a dual-boot system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I heard that registering Windows 10 preview with your Microsoft account will entitle you to a free Windows 10 license. Will I be able to get a free Windows 10 standalone license and keep my Windows 8.1 license in a dual-boot configuration if I install the preview in dual-boot with Windows 8.1? Or should I install Windows 10 preview on a separate physical drive and get the free Windows 10 license on that while keeping Windows 8.1 on its original drive?

Solution

Info as of yesterday (June 19) seems to suggest that if you are currently running the Win 10 Tech Preview, and are logged in with your MS account....you will get a free, full, license for Win 10 when it releases...

PCBuilderProbs

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
every windows 10 license is free by the way if you have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 or 8.1 (and apparently pirates get it too but I'm skeptical about it)

anyways, yes you can partition your drive and keep two operating systems on the same drive and dual-boot as you please. Windows 10 full version drops in July by the way.

USAFRet

Titan

Info as of yesterday (June 19) seems to suggest that if you are currently running the Win 10 Tech Preview, and are logged in with your MS account....you will get a free, full, license for Win 10 when it releases.
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

If this plays out as this blog post seems to suggest, then yes....you will be able to dual boot no problem.

As said...this is brand new info, 24 hours old. We shall see how it actually plays out.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.