* getting garbage from the internet *

bigbonthabeat

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I am building a new computer and the purpose is strictly for music production. I will be using my other computer for ALL internet purposes (except for updates, etc. When I need to install an update, I will use my new computer).

My concern is this:

WHen I finish making a song (if I need to send it to someone via email), I will put it on a jump drive, insert it into my other computer and send by email. But I've had someone tell me that if you put a jump drive into a computer that has junk from the internet, the jump drive will also be infected. Is this true?

I am clueless on this subject...thanks for all help! :D

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Paranoid people will tell you this all the time (like my IT Manager). There is always a chance that anything you plug into your computer will get infected. Does it happen very often? Not that often, but it does happen. Nowadays, if your computer uses the Internet, anything connected or communicates to your computer is considered fair game. Assume that the worst and be prepared when it happens.

bigbonthabeat

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009

thanks for the response :D

Assuming the worst, would it be a good idea to do this every time I finish a song:

1. song is finished so I insert a brand new jump drive into my new music production computer
2. transfer song from my 'internet free computer' to the brand new jump drive
3. transfer the song from the jump drive to my 2nd computer that uses the internet on a daily basis
4. After I'm done downloading my song onto the 2nd computer (which uses the internet on a daily basis), FORMAT the jump drive to take away all potential internet junk

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
That wouldn't be a bad idea. Make sure you reformat it in the "Internet" computer and not your "Song Making" computer just to be safe.

Also, are both those computers on the same network? Cuz if they are, when the Internet computer gets infected, there is a chance that it could spread to other computers on your network.

bigbonthabeat

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009

They are on the same router is that the same network? But there is only 1 ethernet cord so they will never be plugged in at the same time. Would this still cause a problem?