[SOLVED] Getting Half Expected FPS While Gaming

ethandrelles

Commendable
Jan 20, 2018
Im not too sure which forum this should go under so I'll drop it here. I've had my setup for a while now but I've been playing more graphic intensive games again and I've noticed hardly any fps increase if at all, even though I've upgraded both my graphics card and processor. My last setup was a ryzen 1600 with a 1060 and 12 gb of ram. Now my setup is ryzen 3600 with a rx 5700 xt and 24 GB of ram. So I got curious and I looked up benchmarks of the games I was playing with the setup and I came across a video with my exact setup here. The video is playing the witcher 3 on ultra settings at 16:9 1080p and averaging 120 fps. However when I run the game at 1080 with ultra settings Im only getting 60-70 fps (60hz monitor so I'm not worried about vsync). Task manager shows that my graphics card is at about 80% load and my cpu is at 50%, ram only at 10/24gb. This is confusing me because it seems like nothing should be bottlenecking and the fact that the exact setup is getting drastically more fps than mine doesn't make any sense. If anyone has tips on what might be the problem here please let me know.

Solution
if you are comfortable with it, and want to do it, then clean install of Windows can help give you a fresh start in the event that there is something up with some sort of drivers or software messing things up.

If you do a clean install, you should always do it from USB not using the reset option in Windows

ethandrelles

Commendable
Jan 20, 2018
did you uninstall the GTX drivers with DDU before installing the AMD drivers?
if not, use DDU to remove drivers for all graphics on the system, then perform a clean install of drivers.
just tried that along with removing my amd drivers and updating them to the most recent ones yet no luck. I even went into the same location that the video is at and Im still hovering at 70 fps

edit: should I try wiping my windows and reinstalling? I can backup my files and if so should I just use windows to reset or should I wipe my drives and install off of a fresh USB?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if you are comfortable with it, and want to do it, then clean install of Windows can help give you a fresh start in the event that there is something up with some sort of drivers or software messing things up.

If you do a clean install, you should always do it from USB not using the reset option in Windows

Reactions: ethandrelles
Solution

ethandrelles

Commendable
Jan 20, 2018

sounds good I'll update once I've done that

ethandrelles

Commendable
Jan 20, 2018

so woke up today after downloading all my games last night and in a similar setting I'm getting 90-100 with my 1% being like 65 so Im pretty pleased. I guess I can chalk it up to not being in the exact location the video is in. Im gonna guess there really was something going on with the drivers since I know that the rx 5700 xt drivers suck pretty bad (especially when I first got my card).