getting HD recognized

G

Hello!

I am attempting to swap my IBM HD (75GXP 45) to a different system but am having a difficult time getting the OS to recognize it. It is just an archive data drive so I am attempting to place it in the secondary master position. It was previously used as a primary slave. I have reset my jumpers, cabled it properly and set the bios to rcognize (auto detect). It shows upon post but not in the OS (Win98se). When the install was done on the first system it was no problem because I used IBM's "DriveGuide" but to reinstall the HD into another system using this utility I can see no way aroung doing a format which it prompts. This is not an option considering I have resident data I do not want to loose.

I know there is probably an easy solution that I am overlooking. Any and all assistence will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Debs

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What motherboard are you trying to put it on? Are you using an ATA100 controller or raid of some sort? Are you using an 80-pin IDE cable?
Did you try putting it on the Primary IDE as a slave?
And you are sure the jumpers on the drive have been set to slave?
Are the jumpers on the primary boot drive configured properly (set to master)?

G

Hello Bubba,

Thanks for the reply. I can tell you that I originally (successfully) installed the HD into a Dell XPS m200s using IBM's utility "DriveGuide" and am attempting to swap it over to another Dell (XPS m233s). It is mode2 on both with no controller cards being used. I have reset the jumpers to master for the second install (secondary/master, was installed on other sys as a primary/slave). No... I have not attempted to install in the primary/slave position on the second computer but am assuming that the board jumpers are correct considering that I can sucessfully operate a rom off the secondary IDE. Should I not assume?

In actuality this is a good primer for me considering that in the near future I plan to build my 2nd system and would like ultimately to transfer this drive to that one. I have installed numerous HD's in the past but have never swaped a data laden one into another computer. There has always been some sort of install utility that allowed the OS to recogize the HD but all also required they perform a format in the process.

Appreciate the input,

Debs

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think it was a guy in a Steven Segal movie that said "assumption is the mother of all fcuk-ups"
Don't assume. I would recheck all the jumpers on the back of the drives. Hard drives usually come with master as the default jumper where cd drives and cdrw drives usually come with slave as the default jumper position.
So, recheck the jumpers, the IDE cable, and the 4-pin power connectors. We need to rule out a hardware problem first.
Then recheck the bios settings. Make sure the bios sees the drive as master or slave depending on what you set the jumpers to.

What chipset are you using? Since it is a Dell, it is probably an Intel chipset. Check on the Dell homepage to see if they have updated hard drive controller drivers and install those.

Do you have a CDRW drive? Is it possible to put the drive back in the old computer so that it works and put in a CDRW drive and just backup all your data. This would probably be a good idea anyway if the data is this important. If you could back it all up, you could reformat the drive to see if it was maybe a windows problem.

G

Well, I'll never be so bold as to say I will not check and double check (even though this will be my 4th and 5th times:). True, the HD did come in the master config and I had to change it for the first install but I did change it back for this secondary/master install - but I will check again as I promised -.

I have already swaped the 40 pin for a second on but will look around for a third.

She powers up fine but I will check the connection further.

Bios does register it as the secondary master.

Yes both systems have Pentiums.

To backup all the data would take a 35gig HD unfortunately. Also I am not located near the original install computer anymore even if I were to purchase another 45 giger for the purpose.

I still as a matter of curiosity would like to know if this is an install that for all intents and purposes should as a norm not be difficult? Should a non-primary/non-master/non-bootable/non-active/etc, etc, etc drive be able to be installed without having to do more than just register it with bios? What happens to P-N-P? I would think that after it had been formatted once if it were to be installed in another system with the same type OS that it would be recognized.

What I will do is recheck all items as per your recommendations and see what I come up with. Also, something I could have tried but have not as of yet is swap it with the already installed primary/slave HD. I'll do these and respond with a wohoo or sheesh.

Thanks again, I'll let you know,

Debs

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, this is a strange problem. Usually, if you set the jumpers correctly, connect the cables and power correctly, and make sure the bios sees the drive, it should work in the operating system. That is way I am so puzzled. I have no idea for sure what is wrong. I am just doing my best to think of what I would do if I were having these problems.

Try and 80 pin IDE cable.

G

I asked a question in the midst of the "oh my god it's a girl" hub bub in your second thread you started. Did you recognize the drive in the Bios the "first" time or did you just plug it in and use DriveGuide?

Normally this should be not a problematic installation.. but if DriveGuide put any Disk Overlay in the mbr.. then there might be problems. DriveGuide has the ability to overcome bios limitations I'm sure it uses some type of Disk Overlay to do this. I wouldn't think you could use DriveGuide without recognizing it in the motherboard bios. (but I'm not sure about that). If you did recognize it in the bios, maybe you weren't using LBA addressing on the first machine (or maybe you aren't now.. but I doubt that). I doubt the first too but it's possible.

Can you use DOS fdisk utiltiy to few partition information on the drive?

40pin 80 conductor cable.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

G

On the Dells I worked on, the master drive required the Cable Select option (CS). If the drive was the slave, then the slave setting would be OK.

Beware though, screwing with the master/slave settings can wreck the drive's controller. What results is that the drive will only work as a slave and can never be the primary drive again. Just had that happen at work.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just a thought here-some hard drives must be set to "single" instead of "master" if there is no other drive on the chain. Also, go into system settings in Windows and see if your secondary controller is present and enabled. If all else fails you could try configuring it as primary slave on the new system and move whatever is set as primary slave already to secondary master.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Hello All,

I just wanted to stop in and thank everybody for their input on my query. Unfortunately I have had some urgent matters to attend to over the past week or so which will continue to keep me sidelind for some time to come. If or when I get back to this I will be sure to use the suggestions each have given.

Appreciative,

Debs

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just to be sure temporarily disconnect the cd-rom you have on the secondary IDE controller and run only the drive and see if your OS then recognizes it.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!