Getting high ping in games when my network card is scanning for new WIFI networks

MixeX

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
Hello

I have a problem with my network card when i'm playing games. I think the problem might be that my network card is scanning/refreshing for new WIFI in the background. When I ping -t i CMD and click on the WIFI symbole the ping becomes high for 1 second and drops back to normal.

Please help me if you know how to make windows 10 stop searching for WIFI when connected.

Example:

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=122
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=122
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=122
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=286ms TTL=122
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=122
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=122
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=122
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=122
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=122

I don't think it works that way. In general the nic does not search for a new wifi source until the signal level gets so bad it is almost unusable. It can not actually search and transfer data at the same time.

When I have tested this by trying to get a machine to roam between AP when it would search you actually get ping loss not delays. I am not sure how fast it can actually disconnect and reconnect or reconnect to a different device. Most times I would lose at least 1 or 2 pings which is many full seconds of outage.

There is a setting in the nic card where you can change the roaming aggressiveness...some call it something else. I forget if you set it higher or lower but most have it set to a value that make it not disconnect until the signal is unusable.

That more looks like interference from some other device. It could be another device of yours or it could be your neighbors device talking to his router.

This is very hard to fix which is why it is not recommended to play games on wifi. It works fine if you are the lucky person with no interference.