Getting less fps with a 1060 6gb than with a 760 2gb

Spar916

Honorable
Sep 15, 2016
Hi, recently got myself a 1060. I mainly play Overwatch and GTA 5. The issue is with Overwatch. I used to play on low settings and I've been getting 150 fps on average, it would never dip under 120 no matter the scale of fight.
Now that I've got the 1060, I tried to play on the epic setting, got 90-120 fps avg, which I was happy about, only to realise I get the same fps no matter the settings. Even tried to lower the resolution to see if it changes anything and of course it didn't.
So, I realised it's definitely got to be my CPU bottlenecking. However, I don't understand how do I get less frames than with a card from 2013?
So far, I've tried changing Windows Power Management settings, Nvidia 3D settings (changing from adaptive to maximum performance), reinstalling drivers. Nothing seems to help and I'm cluess as to what else I could try.

PC specs
1060 exact model
760 exact model

If it really is CPU bottleneck, should I consider upgrading it or would OC'ing the current one be enough?

Thanks for help!

Solution
Use DDU, then do a CUSTOM install for NVidia and choose to do a CLEAN install to not keep previous settings.

DDU "recommended" safe mode should be used.

*Your graphics card appears to be working properly. I'm not sure why the drops, but I would think it's more on the CPU/software side of things.
You should NOT get a lower FPS if all else is equal (settings etc).

Either the GTX1060 isn't setup right, or there is some other weird issue.

Try doing THIS:

1) download and run Unigine Heaven
2) setup MSI Afterburner or other so you can see two things at the same time:
a) GPU usage, and
b) GPU frequency

3) use max settings (AA, resolution etc), then run the BENCHMARK
4) GPU usage should be about 95%, and GPU frequency should be over 1800MHz likely (depending on max boost)

*If #4 is correct, then the NVidia drivers, and the graphics card seem to be working well. If the frequency and/or usage is too low then there may be some issue throttling the card (I don't think your CPU would be a bottleneck here).

OTHER:
If the above fails, try running DDU then reinstall NVidia drivers, then retest:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

UPDATE:
Having said all that, I'm still CONFUSED by your post, though I think I did read it correctly...

Just to confirm, you got 150FPS average on low before, but if you choose the same, exact LOW settings now your average is lower than before?

*but on the other hand, it sounds like your FPS at the higher settings went UP? I assume you couldn't get 90 to 120FPS on EPIC before...

That does NOT make sense to me. You should NOT get lower FPS at low settings while also getting higher FPS at higher settings.

Again, all things being the same, only the better graphics card, your FPS would never decrease unless some issue is throttling the card (and it wouldn't be the CPU, or at least not more than before).

SUMMARY:
It does sound like a CPU bottleneck, and 90 to 120FPS is still pretty good on EPIC settings, but I don't have an explanation for why the performance would drop lower than before.

Maybe it's some very weird Overwatch issue.

*apparently, some people jumped to 16GB (in Dual Channel) and got better performance?

Not sure if that's because they had ONE STICK and the second stick doubled the bandwidth (Single to Dual Channel) or whether the extra memory helped. Not sure how much Overwatch uses. I'd suspect the bandwidth first (so if you have 2x4GB it might not help)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4zvek6/gtx_1060_low_average_fps/

"Same setup as you (i5 6500, GTX 1060, 8 GB RAM) with the same FPS. No noticeable change in FPS between low and ultra, and through MSI Afterburner it looks like the CPU is hitting 100% while the GPU is at 50-70%."

So pretty much sounds like a confirmation of CPU bottleneck, which to beat a dead horse does NOT explain the lower FPS issue.

Many other games will not be CPU bottlenecked though, and to confirm there are TWO ways to improve your CPU if you haven't done so:

1) overclock the CPU (if good motherboard and cooler), and
2) ensure you have Dual Channel (2x4GB or 2x8GB...
use identical sticks preferably.. if you add more memory see motherboard manual and also run MEMTEST86 www.memtest86.com)

So if you can increase the CPU frequency and/or the memory bandwidth that should help a bit.

If you are CPU limited, then adding a better card won't increase your framerate. But if you raise settings because you have a better card, that can result in lower framerate. Some settings are more CPU dependent than they are videocard dependent. So if you are CPU limited and raise settings thinking your new videocard will do all the extra work, that's not exactly what is going to happen.

This assumes the card is installed and functioning properly. Don't use a game to test the card, games are not good for that. Use a benchmark tool, I use 3dmark, to verify proper function.

Spar916

Honorable
Sep 15, 2016

Yes, I would get about 30-40 fps on epic setting with the 760.
Also I should mention that when I played Dishonored 2, I would get 15-30 fps on lowest settings with the 760 and about 50-80 on very high with the 1060. So, I don't think the 1060 is malfunctioning. It's just that I don't understand how is it possible to get less fps, and even if it's less it dips down to 70-80 which is very annoying on a 144hz screen.
Also I do have 1x8gb stick, so I'll consider buying another one. And I will try the DDU thingy as well. Thanks for help, I'll get back with the results when I wake up.

The fact that the FPS has increased on higher settings suggests the GTX1060 is working probably, so DDU is unlikely to make a difference.

The low FPS thing sounds to be specific to Overwatch. At this point the only thing I can think of is that having more Video memory causes more SYSTEM memory to be used (even at same settings) and then you somehow run out of system memory and the FPS drops?

Sounds weird, but it seems like it is MEMORY related because it can't be PROCESSING related since the CPU didn't change, the settings didn't change, and the GPU is faster.

Reactions: Spar916
I also recommend learning how to use Adaptive Sync (Half Refresh) which toggles VSYNC ON and OFF at 72FPS.

1) start game then exit (to put at top of list)

2) NVidia CP-> manage 3d settings-> ... add game-> adaptive vsync (half refresh)-> save

3) use FRAPS or Steam indicator to show it's 72FPS (if your FPS is that high) and no screen tearing

4) TWEAK settings so you maintain 72FPS roughly 90% of the time (go by the screen tear as a guide... if it gets too annoying drop some settings to raise the FPS a bit)

Not every game works (most do) and for most games it ignores the in-game VSYNC setting and uses this. I'm assuming no GSYNC. It may or may not cause issues in some games like JUDDER.

I use it for maybe 10% of my games.

It is, but if you read everything carefully that is NOT the main issue. It's the lower FPS score on LOWEST settings that don't make sense. (to which I have no answer, just an idea)

Spar916

Honorable
Sep 15, 2016

So, I've taken some screenshots of me playing OW with MSI Afterburner on. I hope there's everything needed to determine whether or not the GPU is working properly.

Low Settings
Epic Settings

Also, I googled a bit and found a guy who said that using an older driver (372.xx) helped him. I'll try that as well, see if anything changes.

Thanks for the help so far!

Edit: I'm also going to upload pictures of Unigine benchmark you mentioned.

Another edit: Here are screenshots from the Unigine benchmark.

Yet another edit: I downloaded DDU to uninstall the drivers and it seems that the 760 driver is still installed. Here's a screenshot. So, I wonder, do I use DDU or is Nvidia's express installation good enough when installing the older driver? Thanks!

Use DDU, then do a CUSTOM install for NVidia and choose to do a CLEAN install to not keep previous settings.

DDU "recommended" safe mode should be used.

*Your graphics card appears to be working properly. I'm not sure why the drops, but I would think it's more on the CPU/software side of things.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS