Question Getting lots of ghosting in all games

Jan 7, 2023
I’ve been experiencing lots of ghosting I’ve tried gsync and maxing out the refresh rate to 240hz. Also I experimented with the overdrive and that dint seem to make a difference.
System: asus strix z690-e mobo, asus oc lc 3090 ti, 32gb Corsair dominator ddr5 6200hz, i9-12900k.

Video I took of it in MW2

What could cause this?

Jan 7, 2023
I’ve been experiencing lots of ghosting I’ve tried gsync and maxing out the refresh rate to 240hz. Also I experimented with the overdrive and that dint seem to make a difference.
System: asus strix z690-e mobo, asus oc lc 3090 ti, 32gb Corsair dominator ddr5 6200hz, i9-12900k.

Monitor is a asus strix PG279QM with a 240hz refresh rate and gsync.

Video I took of it in MW2

What could cause this?
What monitor is it? Is it VA type panel?

It’s a Asus Strix PG279QM IPS monitor

boju

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/rog-swift-pg279qm

Seems esports or normal od modes give best results but in their testings, how fast are they moving? Might be going a bit too quick there. If game has motion blur turn it off and try different antialiasing settings or turn it off.

The ASUS PG279QM has an excellent response time at the max refresh rate of 240Hz. The 'Esports' and 'Normal' OD modes deliver the best overall results, with an extremely fast rise/fall time that delivers extremely clear motion, with almost no noticeable blur behind fast-moving objects. The 'Esports' mode is recommended, as it has slightly less overshoot than the 'Normal' mode. These modes show significant overshoot in all transitions, but it's a very short burst, and the monitor falls back quickly, so it's not noticeable as inverse ghosting. The 'Off' setting has no overshoot, but the average transition time is almost twice as long, resulting in more noticeable blur. Like most monitors, the 'Extreme' setting has much more noticeable overshoot, and unlike the lower settings, this is noticeable as a white trail behind fast-moving objects, so it's not recommended.

Note: Due to the overshoot in the 'Esports' and 'Normal' modes, the PG279QM isn't scoring as well as it should, and the 'Off' mode actually scores higher than what we've included here. Visually, 'Esports' and 'Normal' deliver the best response time experience, and either of those modes are recommended as the best for most people, even though they're scoring a bit worse.

I don't think taking a video without the proper settings will properly show what's going on. If you're getting something like 120 FPS and the camera is capturing at 60 FPS, it's going to capture multiple frames due to the rolling shutter effect.

If your camera has a manual mode where you can set the shutter speed, run https://www.testufo.com/ghosting and take a few pictures at 1/15th of a second or as close to it as possible (using RTing's method). If the image looks quite blurry, then that's a sign of poorer response time.

Reactions: boju
Jan 7, 2023
I don't think taking a video without the proper settings will properly show what's going on. If you're getting something like 120 FPS and the camera is capturing at 60 FPS, it's going to capture multiple frames due to the rolling shutter effect.

If your camera has a manual mode where you can set the shutter speed, run https://www.testufo.com/ghosting and take a few pictures at 1/15th of a second or as close to it as possible (using RTing's method). If the image looks quite blurry, then that's a sign of poorer response time.

I took pictures and slowmotion on a iphone 7, 10s and a ipad air with different overdrive modes besides extreme which had very visible ghosting the clearest was on esports overdrive where I got a clear image on slowmotion and slightly blurry image from photos

I took pictures and slowmotion on a iphone 7, 10s and a ipad air with different overdrive modes besides extreme which had very visible ghosting the clearest was on esports overdrive where I got a clear image on slowmotion and slightly blurry image from photos
I should've read the source material for their methodology which was https://blurbusters.com/motion-tests/pursuit-camera/

They say to set the camera's exposure time to 4 times the length of the refresh rate. So for 120Hz, set it to 1/30sec. Though at the end of the day, if you've tweaked with all the settings and haven't found a satisfactory result in practice (i.e., not trying to scrutinize with a camera), then there's really nothing you can do. It's a problem with the monitor.