Question I'm getting low FPS and spikes in Valorant ?

chadedgar

Honorable
Aug 22, 2017
Following is my build, it is just 2-3 weeks old and I am facing low performance issue. It was assembled by dealer. Next day I reinstalled my GPU because I had to install SATA cables, though I don't think it could have caused any issue. Because during first week I was getting good performance and was getting around 400 fps in valorant. This week I started noticing that my fps was dropping below 200 even if nothing else is running in background. Today I checked fps graph and I was getting consistent fps spikes.

In Atomic Heart at 2k max settings with ray tracing I am getting 60-70 fps, sometimes it drops to 50. While on youtube people are getting 90+ fps on 4k max settings with ray tracing.

What could be the reason for poor performance?

(I do have dual monitor setup with a 1080p display but disabling it didn't help with valorant performance)

Below is screenshot from custom game where I am getting 450 fps but consistent spikes still happen. In actual games fps drops around 200.

Product FamilyProduct Name
Processor (CPU)Intel Core i7-14700K Processor
Cooling System (CPU Cooler)Deepcool LS520S Zero Dark 240mm CPU Liqu...
MotherboardMSI Pro B760M-A WIFI DDR4 Motherboard
Memory (RAM)Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (32GBx2) DDR4...
Solid State Drive (M.2 SSD)Adata XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB M.2 NVMe...
Graphics Card (GPU/VGA)Zotac RTX 4080 Super Trinity Black Editi...
Power Supply Unit (SMPS/PSU)DeepCool PX1000G
Cabinet (Case)DeepCool CH360 Digital ARGB (M-ATX) Mini...
Monitor (Display)Gigabyte M27Q X 27 Inch Gaming Monitor

EDIT:

Does Zotac Firestorm cause performance issues? I installed it a week ago, tweaked power/temperature limits and set it back to default. Fan speed is set to auto, but fans don't spin at all while playing Valorant. GPU temp is at 40 and GPU utilization was at 30-40%. I will gather more stats while playing Valorant and Atomic Heart.

Last edited:
PSU: DeepCool PX1000G
while i haven't had any experience with this particular DeepCool series, the majority of their units seem to be very low quality.
i wouldn't be surprised if it is just having problems providing reliable steady power to this card.

i7-14700K Processor
i don't see any mention of CPU temperatures.
a 240mm AIO can be a bit too little for one of these CPUs.
make sure they are also staying in a good range and not causing any throttling.

many have had issues trying to keep these things cool.

on youtube people are getting 90+ fps on 4k max settings with ray tracing
don't put too much value into what you see on YouTube.
you have to always keep in mind that videos there are meant to attract views, not usually spread helpful information.

Last edited:

chadedgar

Honorable
Aug 22, 2017
i don't see any mention of CPU temperatures.
CPU temps stay around 65 while gaming and can spike upto 75 at max.

Initially I was going with cooler master mwe 1050 v2 but in last moment switched to this PSU. If I have to go with 360mm cooler then I will have to either install it in front or get a new case.

After posting this question, I tweaked firestorm and set it back to default. Disabled ray tracing in Atomic Heart and was getting consistent 200fps. In valorant, started getting 350fps in games without any fps spikes. Only until I booted up my PC this morning and was getting exact same issues in both games, and even worse lag. GPU was only running at 50% capacity in both games. After restart, I started getting stable performance.

Any idea what could be the issue and how can I diagnose it before deciding to make any changes to hardware?

Edit: Maybe a WIFI dongle of a new controller was preventing windows from shutting down properly? It was also preventing system from sleeping. I will check if problem persists after removing the dongle, but so far I am not getting fps drop after booting up. If my guess is correct, I need to disable fast boot to avoid such issues?

Last edited:
Any idea what could be the issue and how can I diagnose it before deciding to make any changes to hardware?
make sure all latest motherboard manufacturer provided drivers are installed directly from the product support downloads page.
also latest Nvidia graphics driver package directly from Nvidia is installed without GeForce Experience.

remove/disable all 3rd party hardware control applications you have installed.

make sure Windows power settings are set to High Performance.

make sure BIOS is up to date & set to optimized defaults before setting any personal customization.
If I have to go with 360mm cooler then I will have to either install it in front...CPU temps stay around 65 while gaming and can spike upto 75 at max.
while maybe not the most optimal option it can work perfectly fine.
just have to be sure there is plenty of exhaust to help remove the CPU's heated air from the case before it can negatively affect other components.

maybe have a top-front exhaust to help pull that air away
and more intake in the floor& PSU tray nearer to the GPU if possible.

i'd say 65-75°C max is fine for now though.

chadedgar

Honorable
Aug 22, 2017
make sure all latest motherboard manufacturer provided drivers are installed directly from the product support downloads page.
also latest Nvidia graphics driver package directly from Nvidia is installed without GeForce Experience.

remove/disable all 3rd party hardware control applications you have installed.

make sure Windows power settings are set to High Performance.

make sure BIOS is up to date & set to optimized defaults before setting any personal customization.

while maybe not the most optimal option it can work perfectly fine.
just have to be sure there is plenty of exhaust to help remove the CPU's heated air from the case before it can negatively affect other components.

maybe have a top-front exhaust to help pull that air away
and more intake in the floor& PSU tray nearer to the GPU if possible.

i'd say 65-75°C max is fine for now though.
First I updated the bios, was still getting frame drops after if PC went to sleep. After that I reinstalled drivers without Geforce. So far I have noticed frame drops only after PC goes to sleep mode but frame drops aren't as severe. Overall I would say the issue has been fixed. Thanks.

Maybe unrelated but in valorant I have odd stats for render and cpu latency. Render latency is around 1.5ms and game/cpu latency is really high number like 3300000ms. Do you think something could be wrong with my config/bios settings or this could be a bug in valorant?