[SOLVED] Getting lower speed with Cat 6a Ethernet cable compared to my Wifi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Reaper Wolf

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
I have been having internet problems the last few weeks on my PC (every other device in my house works fine), I was getting really slow speeds and was getting a lot of twitter buffering. Recently as in today, my internet has gotten really bad and I decided to do some troubleshooting. I tried updating drivers, uninstalling then reinstalling, turning my router off and on, and some other small things. After trying to get it fixed it got even worse and the computer started connecting then disconnecting than connecting then disconnecting etc, it kept doing this until I unplugged the ethernet cable (this is now fixed). I decide to use the WIFI to do stuff while I tried to fix it and what I noticed was that on Wifi I got 550 Mbps while on ethernet I got 93 Mbps and that doesn't sound right. The cable is a Cat 6a cable. I bought it like a year ago so it's not that old. So any help on why this could be would be appreciated. PS. here is some important info, I pay for 1 Gbps internet speed, my router is just at most 12 ft away from my PC.

Solution
93Mbit is a sign that your wired connection is only running at 100Mbit. Check the adapter settings, verify that the port is set in autonegotiate mode.
check the connection status on the ethernet adapter? if it doesn't show 1GB LAN then try a different port on the router (those do go bad occasionally) and of course swap the ethernet cable

I have been having internet problems the last few weeks on my PC (every other device in my house works fine), I was getting really slow speeds and was getting a lot of twitter buffering. Recently as in today, my internet has gotten really bad and I decided to do some troubleshooting. I tried updating drivers, uninstalling then reinstalling, turning my router off and on, and some other small things. After trying to get it fixed it got even worse and the computer started connecting then disconnecting than connecting then disconnecting etc, it kept doing this until I unplugged the ethernet cable (this is now fixed). I decide to use the WIFI to do stuff while I tried to fix it and what I noticed was that on Wifi I got 550 Mbps while on ethernet I got 93 Mbps and that doesn't sound right. The cable is a Cat 6a cable. I bought it like a year ago so it's not that old. So any help on why this could be would be appreciated. PS. here is some important info, I pay for 1 Gbps internet speed, my router is just at most 12 ft away from my PC.

Reactions: The Reaper Wolf
Jan 28, 2020
93Mbit is a sign that your wired connection is only running at 100Mbit. Check the adapter settings, verify that the port is set in autonegotiate mode.
I’m having the exact same issue. Asus Stix z390 with intel 1219v adapter. 600 meg service, getting 90
WiFi works perfect 500 +
Tried all the suggestion...drivers, cables, resetting network, tweaking settings...no clue what is capping my speed

Jan 28, 2020
I’m having the exact same issue. Asus Stix z390 with intel 1219v adapter. 600 meg service, getting 90
WiFi works perfect 500 +
Tried all the suggestion...drivers, cables, resetting network, tweaking settings...no clue what is capping my speed
FYI, other PCs (two laptops) on network not effected

Status
Not open for further replies.