The un known

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2014
Hi there,

I just moved into a new apartment for college and to get internet access, I need to register the device's MAC address on the ISP website. This isn't a problem for things I have wifi on (laptop, phone, etc.) However, I'm not able to get my PC (which doesn't have wifi) connected. The website just says device offline for my PC. When I plug in the ethernet cable to my PC and into the outlet, the lights that usually light up aren't lighting up on my motherboard. I've tried on 2 of my PCs and its doing the same thing, brand new ethernet cable. The question I have is am I not getting the right MAC address? (I used ipconfig /all in command prompt and used the "physical address" of my ethernet port and registered that) or if its an issue with the wall ports in my apartment

Solution
Open a command prompt window and type getmac then hit the enter button. That will give you all device physical MAC addresses whether or not connected.

I would ask your manager about your ISP and contact the ISP tech support about which if any Ethernet ports are active and if they can be enabled.

You can also pull the Ethernet cover plate off to see if it is wired and inquire about its switch location from apartment management. Many hotels that I use for business have done away with their Ethernet access in at least some rooms so I often have to specify which room I want after testing with a cable tester for a live port.

RealBeast

Titan
Open a command prompt window and type getmac then hit the enter button. That will give you all device physical MAC addresses whether or not connected.

I would ask your manager about your ISP and contact the ISP tech support about which if any Ethernet ports are active and if they can be enabled.

You can also pull the Ethernet cover plate off to see if it is wired and inquire about its switch location from apartment management. Many hotels that I use for business have done away with their Ethernet access in at least some rooms so I often have to specify which room I want after testing with a cable tester for a live port.

Solution
Yep, no lights on 2x PCs sounds like a wiring issue. Most apartments are wired for telephone versus ethernet, so you may find that you will need to get a 'travel router' to connect to their wifi using the travel router and the connect the wired devices to the travel router.

TRENDING THREADS