Getting MY First SSD?

TylerUC

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
First my specs,

I have an I5-3570K, GTX 660, 8GB RAM, 250 GR VelociRaptor with my OS, and a 1 TB HDD in a micro ATX case.

I have been contiplating buying an SSD now that prices are dropping on them. I would put my OS and some of my Steam games on it such as ARMA 3, maybe Rome II Total War, and Bannerlord II when that finally comes out.

I was looking at the following drives:

Crucial MX300 275GB
SanDisk Ultra II 240GB
PNY CS2211 240GB Pro Gaming
Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB-most expensive
Silicon Power S55 480GB- Have read mixed things regarding this drive

I believe that a drive sub 300 GB should be enough for my needs because I am going to keep my other HDDs. It is tempting to purchase a larger drive but not sure if it is worth the price tag for me. Hence the reason the only larger drive I put in the list was the cheaper Silicon.

Any advise or experience is appreciated. Thanks.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
My first SSD was a Samsung 830 250GB and once I started using Steam I rapidly ran out of space. My current Sammy 850 EVO 500GB is doing fine, backed up with a pair of large HDDs in RAID1 for all my data. One thing to bear in mind is that an SSD will only benefit loading times in games. Any open world that keeps loading as you travel through it will be smoother.

Do get a larger drive if you intend to put games on your SSD. They are getting bigger and bigger and will continue to do so. GO for capacity instead of brand. Look into Adata SP550 or PNY CS1311 around the 500GB mark.
I'm on my second SSD(first was 120, this one is 250) and i sourly regret not saving some more and getting a 500GB one.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

My second choice is always Crucial: Go with the Crucial MX300 275GB

TylerUC

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Thanks for the feed back. I have read that SSDs only benefit load times and open world games. So it should help with ARMA 3.

"GO for capacity instead of brand. Look into Adata SP550 or PNY CS1311 around the 500GB mark."

With today's SSD does brand really not matter that much? I mean I am really more concered with reliability of hte drive rather then a top tier performance. I would think any preformance increase over my current HDDS will be more noticable compared to a faster Read/Writes of different SSDs.

Brands do matter, meaning you should know what to get even if you go for cheap stuff. But personally i would takle capacity over having a Samsung. Endurance is no longer an issue for normal usage. QC is.

Regardless of brand(SR-71 Blackbird is correct, the MX300 is a good deal), my advice stands. Grab a 500GB class drive if you can afford it. You'll thank yourself later.