Question Getting my ram to 2666mhz

conurafx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Hey all,
I have a 9700k with an RTX 3070 and 32GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 3200 MHz C16.
I don't really want to enable XMP and have it run at the full 3200mhz, I prefer to keep everything in spec and cool (I know, I'm weird!), but currently the RAM is set at 2133mhz. I know the motherboard, CPU and RAM are all fine to run this at 2666mhz and stay within spec (I believe?)
The timings on the memory read 16-18-18-36

But I presume this is for 3200mhz, what should I set to achieve 2666? Should the voltage be 1.35? Thanks and hope someone can help!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
But I presume this is for 3200mhz, what should I set to achieve 2666?

You can try 15-15-15-36. <- These are timings for 2133 Mhz. If it doesn't hold, loosen the timings to 16-18-18-36.
Also, did you check from BIOS if your RAM perhaps has 2nd XMP? With slower than 3200 but higher than 2133 Mhz.

All-in-all, running 3200 Mhz rated RAM at 2666 Mhz is waste of performance. Might as well could've bought 2666 Mhz RAM from the get go.

Voltage can remain same. But if you want to dabble with it, then 1.2V is for 2133 Mhz, while 1.35V is for 3200 Mhz. So, middle path would be 1.3V, IF it holds.

I prefer to keep everything in spec and cool

Just out of curiosity, do you have OC on your CPU and/or GPU?

conurafx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
You can try 15-15-15-36. <- These are timings for 2133 Mhz. If it doesn't hold, loosen the timings to 16-18-18-36.
Also, did you check from BIOS if your RAM perhaps has 2nd XMP? With slower than 3200 but higher than 2133 Mhz.

All-in-all, running 3200 Mhz rated RAM at 2666 Mhz is waste of performance. Might as well could've bought 2666 Mhz RAM from the get go.

Voltage can remain same. But if you want to dabble with it, then 1.2V is for 2133 Mhz, while 1.35V is for 3200 Mhz. So, middle path would be 1.3V, IF it holds.

Just out of curiosity, do you have OC on your CPU and/or GPU?

Aha thank you. I don't have any overclocks anywhere, I only really run games at 1440p so I haven't needed it, but in some of the games I like (specifically simulators) I've heard faster RAM helps a lot. Unfortunately I have no XMP2 profile - that would help a lot!

Part of my is tempted to run the XMP on, but the parts are out of warranty so I'm a bit concerned it'll place extra stress on them as I don't plan to upgrade for a while!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Aha thank you. I don't have any overclocks anywhere, I only really run games at 1440p so I haven't needed it, but in some of the games I like (specifically simulators) I've heard faster RAM helps a lot. Unfortunately I have no XMP2 profile - that would help a lot!

Part of my is tempted to run the XMP on, but the parts are out of warranty so I'm a bit concerned it'll place extra stress on them as I don't plan to upgrade for a while!
You never listed the motherboard.
Most people would just set XMP and forget it.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
so I'm a bit concerned it'll place extra stress on them

3200 Mhz RAM is designed to work at 3200 Mhz. Now, all DDR4 RAM has to work at JEDEC speeds of 2133 / 2400 / 2666 Mhz but if RAM is built to work faster, it will be fine.

On another example; lets say you buy 50 seat bus, which is built to carry 50 passengers. But instead as using it as it was designed to, you instead drive around with 2 passengers aboard, never more, for not to "stress" the bus. <- See the wasted potential? Might as well bought 5 seat passenger car. (Regarding this example.)

conurafx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
3200 Mhz RAM is designed to work at 3200 Mhz. Now, all DDR4 RAM has to work at JEDEC speeds of 2133 / 2400 / 2666 Mhz but if RAM is built to work faster, it will be fine.

On another example; lets say you buy 50 seat bus, which is built to carry 50 passengers. But instead as using it as it was designed to, you instead drive around with 2 passengers aboard, never more, for not to "stress" the bus. <- See the wasted potential? Might as well bought 5 seat passenger car. (Regarding this example.)
I see, that makes sense. My concern was about the CPU, but then my knowledge is absolutely minimal. I was concerned that given that intel states the CPU only supports 2666mhz on the RAM, it would be pushing the CPU harder than it needs to be (as though the RAM is fine at 3200mhz, my thinking was the CPU was not?)
Hope my question makes sense, but very happy to be incorrect on this and have the faster speed :)

Thank you again

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I was concerned that given that intel states the CPU only supports 2666mhz on the RAM, it would be pushing the CPU harder than it needs to be (as though the RAM is fine at 3200mhz, my thinking was the CPU was not?)

While CPU does have RAM frequency limit of what it can do, the rest of the hardware does benefit from faster RAM.

For example, i have i5-6600K with max RAM speed support of 2133 Mhz. (Skylake build, full specs with pics in my sig.) Now, i have 4x 4GB Kingston Savage 3000 Mhz RAM in my system, which has been running at 3000 Mhz for the past 6 years, with 0 issue. While at the same time, i benefit for the faster RAM frequencies compared to if i were running it at 2133 Mhz. Btw, my MoBo (MZI Z170A Gaming M5) can support RAM speeds up to 3600 Mhz. Your MoBo supports up to 4133 Mhz RAM.

Or look at it another way; IF faster RAM, what CPU can support, wouldn't help or even work at all, then why even produce far more faster RAM than what CPU is capable of?

conurafx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
While CPU does have RAM frequency limit of what it can do, the rest of the hardware does benefit from faster RAM.

For example, i have i5-6600K with max RAM speed support of 2133 Mhz. (Skylake build, full specs with pics in my sig.) Now, i have 4x 4GB Kingston Savage 3000 Mhz RAM in my system, which has been running at 3000 Mhz for the past 6 years, with 0 issue. While at the same time, i benefit for the faster RAM frequencies compared to if i were running it at 2133 Mhz. Btw, my MoBo (MZI Z170A Gaming M5) can support RAM speeds up to 3600 Mhz. Your MoBo supports up to 4133 Mhz RAM.

Or look at it another way; IF faster RAM, what CPU can support, wouldn't help or even work at all, then why even produce far more faster RAM than what CPU is capable of?
Thanks so much for helping me out here. Actually, I just enabled XMP and my FPS in some of the games I play has gone from around 100 to 140 which is a huge difference on my 144hz screen! Even better, the temps have barely moved. I really appreciate the help.

Reactions: Aeacus