Question Getting nasty BSOD

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
Latley, with no apparent reason I have started to get BSOD with two different error codes.
It happens both sometimes when e.g playing World of Tanks, and just happened yesterday when I was totally afk idling

The errors are "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" and "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR"

The google results point towards bad hardware or too low Vcore
However, my setup is almost completley new, a few months old, with theese components:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
32,0GB Dual-Channel @ 1069MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING (LGA1151)
Graphics
XB271HU (2560x1440@144Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
238GB INTEL SSDPEKKW256G7 (Unknown (SSD))
232GB Samsung SSD 840 Series (SATA (SSD))
931GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (SATA (SSD))
238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB (SATA (SSD))
698GB Seagate ST3750528AS (SATA )

PSU
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750W Gold

Now, I have tried updating BIOS and other drivers, and since the components are almost brand newly bought, I dont want to fiddle with Vcore in BIOS, since that would instantly void my warranty
I havent touched any setting in there regards to CPU parameters, so It "shouldnt" be a vcore problem

What can I do now?

Last edited:

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
That's going to be a problem to find, I mean the PSU is quality and probably not faulty.

Run Hard Disk Sentinel and see if there is a weird Hard Disk problem.. it may happen, even if it is new or another hard disk checking device.

Alright, gonna check it

Ages of the disks:
238GB INTEL SSDPEKKW256G7 - December 2016
232GB Samsung SSD 840 Series - Around 2015
931GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB- A few months
238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB Around 2015
698GB Seagate ST3750528AS Maaany years old, but not a boot drive, only for old pictures and stuff

Would you be able to provide a quick tutorial on what I should run? There is alot on Disk Sentiel I dont quite understand, and what to look for, and what test to run

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
sounds like a temperature issue. use cpu-z or hardware monitor and monitor the temps for your cpu

There is one odd thing that started to happen a few months ago, it said CPU FAN ERROR when starting up, the solution I had to fix it was to simply Ignore CPU monitoring, and that worked fine

Also, the fans are spinning, so I dont know what the issue is
Maybe its connected somehow?

Andrei N

Honorable
Feb 22, 2016
Fans may be spinning but you need to check temps always. Your cooler might be too small for the CPU, it might be placed wrong, it might be connected wrong, it might not have thermal paste on it.
Or the worse of it all, it was taken off and put back on without replacing the thermal paste which causes overheat on every/all systems.

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
Fans may be spinning but you need to check temps always. Your cooler might be too small for the CPU, it might be placed wrong, it might be connected wrong, it might not have thermal paste on it.
Or the worse of it all, it was taken off and put back on without replacing the thermal paste which causes overheat on every/all systems.

Well HW monitor still sees temperature and they are around 60 on load from World of Tanks, so not nearly bad enough

Its a Pure Rock cooler, and I applied this famous "pea size" thermals myself, so all that is fine

Andrei N

Honorable
Feb 22, 2016
Well if it's not the PSU, it's also not the cooling you need to start checking the HDD's. If possible try to replicate the issue with 1, then if nothing happens in the time it should happens keep adding until you find the problematic one.
You might also need to make a separate OS install on one of the other drives.

I almost forgot.
Check event viewer and match the times with the failure. Event viewer is awesome for troubleshooting BSOD's.

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
My SSDs seems to be fine

Only one that has errors is my backup HDD, its as said many years old, its health is at 73%
Should really not cause BSOD since its not in any way using system files or any programs installed

I looked at event viewer right before the crash, it lists a few interesting things, however my Windows is on Swedish so I have to translate

So the correct time when it happened, the first ERROR I get is "An error occurred that made it impossible to create a dump file."

Then, the next is labeled as "Critical" and says "The computer has been restarted without having shut down properly first. This error can occur if the system stops responding, if it crashes or if the power supply is unexpectedly broken."

Then there is several Information labels that mentions energy saving functions in my CPU "ACPI Collaborative Processor Performance Control"

Im guessing this is information when my computer has restarted?

I dont know, this event log is really weird, but it does not seem to be any triggering thing that is stated in event log

Doesnt the minidump tell me more about what happened?

My local tech store I bought my components from demands 50 euros to troubleshoot the error, and "hopefully" its a faulty component

But I want to be able to narrow down WHICH component then just hand it in and tell them to exhange it

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
If the old drive is not important right now, I would disconnect it and take it out of the equation.

The minidump would say more, if you can decipher it.

If I could read minidumps I would probably not be here asking about this :p

I even dont know how to open the file, I see there is some special program for it but

I also get errors on Prime95,

[Mar 14 15:33] Worker starting
[Mar 14 15:33] Beginning a continuous self-test on your computer.
[Mar 14 15:33] Please read stress.txt. Choose Test/Stop to end this test.
[Mar 14 15:33] Test 1, 36000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M7998783 using FMA3 FFT length 400K, Pass1=320, Pass2=1280, clm=4.
[Mar 14 15:35] Test 2, 36000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M7798785 using FMA3 FFT length 400K, Pass1=320, Pass2=1280, clm=4.
[Mar 14 15:37] Self-test 400K passed!
[Mar 14 15:37] Test 1, 140000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M2605473 using FMA3 FFT length 128K, Pass1=512, Pass2=256, clm=2.
[Mar 14 15:37] FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
[Mar 14 15:37] Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
[Mar 14 15:37] Torture Test completed 2 tests in 4 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
[Mar 14 15:37] Worker stopped.

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
The plain text says:

On Thu 2019-03-14 14:16:34 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031419-15765-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1B35E0)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFC40131DA5028, 0xB2000000, 0x30005)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Well if the old HD is removed and it's still failing, what does the stress.txt file say?

Its just a common Q&A sadly, does not tell anything specific

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you go to c windows/minidump
copy the mini dump file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

Whocrashed always blames ntoskrnl. NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

Have you run Intel processor Diagnostic Tool?

Are you running AI Suite as it includes files that can cause WHEA errors.

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
can you go to c windows/minidump
copy the mini dump file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

Whocrashed always blames ntoskrnl. NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

Have you run Intel processor Diagnostic Tool?

Are you running AI Suite as it includes files that can cause WHEA errors.

Seems great, here is the minidump:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n58j6u1d5wooyxc/031419-15765-01.dmp?dl=0

I actually googled around and found IPDT yesterday and ran it, with no errors "sadly"

Im not running it automatically but I occasionally open it up to manage fans and look on temps
But its not a pattern, meaning it has BSOD on me when im 100% I havent used Ai Suite

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
It just happened again!!

The event log has something talking about DistrubutedCOM
5 errors happening same second, everyone has different detailed text

Windows.SecurityCenter.WscBrokerManager
Windows.SecurityCenter.SecurityAppBroker
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}

Some weird stuff happening I dont know at all

[mode edit - language]

Last edited by a moderator:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/rmZXDKSE

File information:031419-15765-01.dmp (Mar 14 2019 - 09:16:34)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: Steam.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 11 Sec(s)

Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

Comment: The GPU tweaking driver "iomap64.sys" was found on your system. (AI Suite or GPU Tweak 2)

BIOS information was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information soon. Please wait for more answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You may not intentionally be running AI SUite but it sure is running in background.
  1. Aug 02 2010 - AsUpIO.sys - ASUS Update Input Output driver http://www.asus.com/
  2. Aug 22 2012 - AsIO.sys - ASUS Input Output driver http://www.asus.com/
MSI Afterburner can also be cause. WHEA errors are usually either hardware or overclocking software
Try uninstalling both mentioned above, and run Autoruns to make sure the Asus ones are gone as they can be stubborn

These are old too, might be cause
  1. May 03 2014 - VClone.sys - Virtual Clone CD Driver http://www.elby.ch/
  2. Dec 17 2014 - ElbyCDIO.sys - ElbyCD Windows Input/Output driver http://www.elby.ch/
Updating BIOS can also help fix WHEA errors.

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
Thanks for replies, I have looked into them all, and got rid of AI suite, and the autostart keys, I will see if that makes it better, I rather not delete Virtual clone right away since I use it quite often