Question Getting nasty BSOD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
Latley, with no apparent reason I have started to get BSOD with two different error codes.
It happens both sometimes when e.g playing World of Tanks, and just happened yesterday when I was totally afk idling

The errors are "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" and "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR"

The google results point towards bad hardware or too low Vcore
However, my setup is almost completley new, a few months old, with theese components:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
32,0GB Dual-Channel @ 1069MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING (LGA1151)
Graphics
XB271HU (2560x1440@144Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
238GB INTEL SSDPEKKW256G7 (Unknown (SSD))
232GB Samsung SSD 840 Series (SATA (SSD))
931GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (SATA (SSD))
238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB (SATA (SSD))
698GB Seagate ST3750528AS (SATA )

PSU
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750W Gold

Now, I have tried updating BIOS and other drivers, and since the components are almost brand newly bought, I dont want to fiddle with Vcore in BIOS, since that would instantly void my warranty
I havent touched any setting in there regards to CPU parameters, so It "shouldnt" be a vcore problem

What can I do now?

Last edited:

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
Any of you know a good alternative to afterburner?

I had a custom curve for GPU fan since its defective (freaking RTX 2080 garbage) so I had to run it slightly higher RPM than the automatic curve (does a mechanic krrrrt sound every 3 seconds otherwise)

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
And I got the MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION just now too
This time it didnt went straight to BSOD, the whole screen freezed and it made a "brrrrrrrrrr" sound from my speakers for about a minute before it went to BSOD

Guys what do you think I should do?

Im not sure if I should try warranty for my CPU, or to reinstall Windows

But it REALLY shouldnt be a software issue since I havent done anything since this all started, as I mentioned, it all began with when my CPU fan error started, it really feels like a hardware problem

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/YaQC.html

File information:042319-16640-01.dmp (Apr 23 2019 - 07:02:14)
Bugcheck:MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (9C)
Probably caused by:intelppm.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 30 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)

Check Windows Update history for any recent driver updates.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it just means it is not AI suite.

Have you updated the BIOS as the dump file isn't showing any BIOS info and that is usually a indication that the bios version is old. I recall you saying you are on 0903.

the program that closed is the intel processor driver that comes with windows

look under chipset here, perhaps download latest IMEI and Intel Chipset driver version V10.1.17809.8096_RS5 - update these once bios updated

hardware:
PSU: Seasonic.. good brand, no one is perfect but they close.
CPU :
  • Tested with IPDT, nothing found.
  • Prime95 getting FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4, is not so good though. Most of the people getting this are overclocked but you aren't. Solution seems to be to add voltage - and explanation of error and a solution at bottom:
The algorithm, in a rough sense, uses a transformation that produces floating-point results when a precise answer is an integer. So, each decimal result is rounded to the nearest integer, and the rounded-off decimal is a "rounding error" in the FFT algorithm. When results come out below nnn.4 or above mmm.6, it is obvious which way to round and the rounding error is considered "safe". But if a calculation comes out nnn.48, is the error 0.48 and should be rounded down, or is the error 0.52 and should be rounded up? The calculation is no longer trustworthy.

When the algorithm produces an error above 0.4, it repeats the particular calculation that produced the error. if the error is repeatable, it is a sign that the precision of the transformation is not high enough for the size of calculation being attempted, and a slower/larger/more precise transformation is then used to reduce error below the 0.4 cutoff. However, if the error is non-repeatable, the computer has a hardware error- calculations are no longer deterministic. This is where you're at.

Slow down the overclock, reduce heat (by cleaning out dust, improving airflow, routing cables better, reseating CPU heatsink with less thermal paste, moving the GPU a slot or two away from CPU, etc....), check memory for errors (e.g. with memtest86), or slow down the overclock. You ought to slow down the overclock first, though it may be the memory clock as the culprit rather than the CPU clock.
https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=24129

Memory: Have you run memtest?
Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Motherboard: - Fan errors? maybe cause is motherboard? Hard to test, so check everything else first. PSU is the same.

Last edited:

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
I dont know, I tried everything, still happens

The Fan error I got fixed a few weeks ago, I set the minimal RPM one step higher so the sensor actually sense the RPM, and that solved that issue

So im back to square one