Question Getting new HD. How do I install?

Texancowboy

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
My HD is going South on my windows 10 desktop PC. I decided to buy a new one from Amazon.

What do I need to do to install it? I have NO desire to go through the hassle of transferring data from my old drive to the new one. I just want to do a fresh install of windows 10 on my new drive. What do I need to do? Where do I get the files? Do I use a CD or USB? How do I get my license key? So many questions...

My HD is going South on my windows 10 desktop PC. I decided to buy a new one from Amazon.

What do I need to do to install it? I have NO desire to go through the hassle of transferring data from my old drive to the new one. I just want to do a fresh install of windows 10 on my new drive. What do I need to do? Where do I get the files? Do I use a CD or USB? How do I get my license key? So many questions...
typically you just need the HDD itself and an OS installation device (can be USB or cd).

for WIN10 your CD key should be tied to your account (so as long as your using same acct should be no issue)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

under the download tool option it has info on creating media to install onto another pc (in ur case same pc just new hdd)

after you have the OS files onto a USB/disc then turn pc off and swap the hdd's and start pc up (might have to go into bios and select boot from usb/disk drive if it doesnt auto detect it)