• Enter here for a chance to win a custom MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries themed PC powered by Intel!

[SOLVED] Getting new motherboard, CPU, and RAM

Chibisk

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2014
Hey everyone!
I'm planning to upgrade a couple parts of my PC. Here are my current specs:

CPU: AMD Fx 8320
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 3 gb
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 8 gb (2x4 gb)
Storage: 512 gb SSD and 128 gb SSD
PSU: Corsair TX-550M Gold+
Case: Corsair ATX Graphite - forgot the exact name/model

I'm hoping to upgrade CPU to AMD Ryzen 5 3600x, Mobo to MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX, and RAM to G.Skill Ripjaws 16 gb (2 x 8gb) DDR4 3200. Planning to get Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU cooler. May upgrade GPU in the next year if I find a decent price.

Is the upgrade to a R5 3600x worth it for $250? And is the RAM compatible with the mobo? I've considered getting the Trident Z, Hyper X, and the Vengeance, but not sure I would even appreciate the differences. Ripjaws was just the cheapest, but I would still like quality. Main uses would be to do daily tasks for work with tons of tabs and light gaming in CS:GO, Valorant, and League of Legends.

I have no plans to overclock anything. Budget is to hopefully keep it under $500 if possible! I'd appreciate any feedback or changes I should make! Thank you!

BogdanH

Prominent
Sep 21, 2020
Yes, 3600X is still considered as solid performer (by keeping the price in mind). If you can squeeze few more bucks, I would recommend 3700X because of two reasons:
  1. There is noticeable difference between 6 and 8 cores (for "serious" work)
  2. I assume you won't upgrade again anytime soon
Here, the difference between 3600X and 3700X is only about 20$.

RAM.. well, hard to talk about quality, as most DDR4 3200 perform quite similar -means, if there are differences in performance, you won't notice it in daily use. So, if price is right, get it.

Hyper 212 looks like at decent cooler and if price is right, it should be enough for 3600X (and 3700X).

MSI B450 Tomahawk is a good motherboard.. but then, most motherboards are. And so, when choosing motherboard, connectivity is all that matters. Again, if you can shell out just few more bucks, I would recommend MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max motherboard (which I have). Reasons:
  1. Has 8 USB ports on back (Tomahawk has 6)
  2. Has 6 SATA drive connectors (Tomahawk has 4)
  3. Has two M.2 slots (Tomahawk has one)
  4. Has 2x2 USB 3.2 front connectors -one can be used as USB-C (Tomahawk only has 2)
If any of above is not important to you, and Tomahawk is cheaper, then get Tomahawk.

BogdanH

Prominent
Sep 21, 2020
Yes, 3600X is still considered as solid performer (by keeping the price in mind). If you can squeeze few more bucks, I would recommend 3700X because of two reasons:

RAM.. well, hard to talk about quality, as most DDR4 3200 perform quite similar -means, if there are differences in performance, you won't notice it in daily use. So, if price is right, get it.

Hyper 212 looks like at decent cooler and if price is right, it should be enough for 3600X (and 3700X).

MSI B450 Tomahawk is a good motherboard.. but then, most motherboards are. And so, when choosing motherboard, connectivity is all that matters. Again, if you can shell out just few more bucks, I would recommend MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max motherboard (which I have). Reasons:
  4. Has 2x2 USB 3.2 front connectors -one can be used as USB-C (Tomahawk only has 2)
If any of above is not important to you, and Tomahawk is cheaper, then get Tomahawk.

Chibisk

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2014

Ended up with the 3600x since its $70 more for the 3700x where I'm at. I don't think I actually need to spend that much for my needs, especially since the games aren't too demanding. Also went with the Tomahawk MAX II since it was cheaper (didn't need the ports). Thank you for your help!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS