[SOLVED] Getting new power supply and graphics card for dell mini-tower and need advice

Jan 17, 2021
Hi guys,
So, I have an old computer, standard when it came out in 2016 - Dell Inspiron 3650 (mini tower). It came with a Nvidia GT 730. It hasn't been too bad but I would like to upgrade to a slightly better card so I can game with my friend. I have settled on the GTX 1050ti 2GB. Not amazing I know but will help me play newer games.

One issue I have is my power supply is only 240W. An issue there is the power supply I have is specially fitted for the smaller tower. I've looked at mini ones but they don't seem to go over 250W. Will I need to get one that goes outside the computer? Or is it possible to get by with the one I have?

My other question is about Graphics Card brands. I heard MSI is bad but I don't know which is the best.

More system info: I have 16GB RAM and a i5 2.70 Gigahertz processor (I might need to upgrade that as well)
The computer is old so I might end up having to replace Mother board as well.

I just wanted to check in with some experts before I got parts in case I wasn't able to install them etc.
I don't want to spend more than 200 dollars.

I appreciate any help.
Rich

Solution
There is no 1050Ti 2gb.
Gtx 1050 is 2gb
Gtx 1050ti is 4gb
You are going to have to go with a small versio of the card,which consume less watts,something lime this https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-mini#spec
It conaumes 75W so u should be all good without having to replace the powersupply.
Where did you hear that MSI is bad?
They make one of the most beautiful,quiet and cooling efficient cards.One thing i love about msi's gpu's is that they are so common that you can find almost any guide,how to trouble shoot,etc.. about it on youtube.
There is no 1050Ti 2gb.
Gtx 1050 is 2gb
Gtx 1050ti is 4gb
You are going to have to go with a small versio of the card,which consume less watts,something lime this https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-mini#spec
It conaumes 75W so u should be all good without having to replace the powersupply.
Where did you hear that MSI is bad?
They make one of the most beautiful,quiet and cooling efficient cards.One thing i love about msi's gpu's is that they are so common that you can find almost any guide,how to trouble shoot,etc.. about it on youtube.

Solution