[SOLVED] Getting nic working on Ubuntu?

justin_dukkha

Honorable
Apr 2, 2014
I have a new machine I built and have it plugged into ethernet but no internet. The cable was just working on another machine so I no it works. I enable ethernet option in bios.

How should I best trouble shoot? I don't see any drivers for Ubuntu on Asus website. Thanks!

Ryzen 3400, Asus B450 mobo, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Solution
Have you got it working yet?

If you try to boot using a Linux distro with a different core, it may happens to support that particular device. Those distro I'd recommend you to test based on my own experience:
  • Linux Mint
  • MX Linux
  • Fedora
  • Linux Lite
I know the method is very crude, but try to boot each of those and see if you get access to the router.

Also - before use a ton of time testing, I recommend you to do some steps if the issue lies with hardware:
  • If there is a cheap network switch connected, try to power it off (pulling out the wall adapter), wait half minute and then power it up again.
  • Try another (known good) network cable.
Have you got it working yet?

If you try to boot using a Linux distro with a different core, it may happens to support that particular device. Those distro I'd recommend you to test based on my own experience:
  • Linux Mint
  • MX Linux
  • Fedora
  • Linux Lite
I know the method is very crude, but try to boot each of those and see if you get access to the router.

Also - before use a ton of time testing, I recommend you to do some steps if the issue lies with hardware:
  • If there is a cheap network switch connected, try to power it off (pulling out the wall adapter), wait half minute and then power it up again.
  • Try another (known good) network cable.

Solution

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I don't use Ubuntu so I don't have the exact UI in front of me but open the terminal and type the the command below. This should list some basic information about your network connection.

Code:
ip a

Typically, drivers come built into the Linux kernel, so you don't have to download them. There are exceptions, like if new hardware is released and you don't have the latest kernel, but your network adapter should function out of the box. I googled "ubuntu 20.04 ethernet connection with no internet", you don't seem to be the only one with this problem, maybe it's some Ubuntu bug.

kanewolf

Titan

TRENDING THREADS