Question Getting "no signal" while gaming

Jun 16, 2019
Hi there,

I'm recently getting "no signal" while playing games, it doesn't happen during surfing the web or watching a movie though. At first, it happened while launching or playing really resource intensive games so I thought my GPU was failing but after testing the GPU was having normal temperatures. I've built this case together back in 2013 but replaced some parts since then. I've bought the RX 480 some two years ago and also recently bought three new parts; 16GB 3000Mhz Ram, B450 Tomahawk Motherboard and a Ryzen 5 2600x Processor. The PROBLEM has started after I bought these 3 new parts at the beginning of this year, I haven't had that before.

Is it possible that my PSU from 2013 can't handle the power demand any more with these new parts? As I've said the graphics card or the monitor is working just fine, the PC keeps working normally as I can still hear music playing at the background but only no screen input is available.

Thanks in advance,

Jun 16, 2019
Jun 16, 2019
Just open up the case and inspect the PSU sticker, it's nothing complicated!

I know that but the case is sort of closed off, I need to turn the PC off and unplug everything to be able to see it :) Takes me 20-25 minutes to get back on. I'll do that eventually though if the problem insists.

Jun 16, 2019
Well start ruling things out, is cable going bad, is your bios up to date, are your gpu temps ok, are your gpu drivers up to date etc.

Bios is up-to-date, GPU temps during resource intensive games average between 58-63 degrees. Updated my GPU and processor chipset just yesterday. Checked HDMI monitor cable.

The only irregularity so far I have noticed is my GPU temperature fluctuating during launching certain games. Like it's 60 and goes up to 68 degrees for a second, then turns normal again. In the beginning, this whole "no signal" thing would show up while launching some games but since then it happens while mid game. Some of the games aren't even hard on the system either. I was averaging 58 degrees GPU and 56 with my CPU and all of a sudden "no signal". But everything else at the background still works as I can still hear music and people talking, even the game itself.

You can try uninstalling all your Nvidia files, clean slate it. Then download only the files you need in the advanced section instead of automatic install. If you are using GeForce experience, try not installing it and see if the problem goes away with just the files you need, like driver, and PhysX files.