[SOLVED] Getting pretty high idle temps on new build. Not sure if this is normal for my system specs.

SafetyPotato

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2014
So I bought 9 Corsair QL 120 fans for a new build only after realizing that they’re really not good at cooling, especially on an AIO. Had to stick with it though since I’m already past the return period.

Specs:
Case: Lian Li 011D
AIO: NZXT Kraken x73 with QL120 fans mounted
GPU: 3080 Ti Founders
CPU: Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Master
RAM: 4x16 G.Skill Trident Z (16-19-19-39)

I’ve been observing my temps over the past day. It seems like my CPU never drops below 40 degrees celsius and typically sits between 45-55 when I have a few basic programs and chrome tabs. Whenever I open new tabs or open a basic program like discord or icue software my temps spike to 60-75, and then drop back down quickly. When I run games it doesn’t seem to go above 80, but to be fair I haven’t had the chance to play very intensive games yet. Haven’t been paying attention to GPU temps as much, but it typically sits between 40-60.

I’ve never really paid attention to my temps on my PC until now, and I just wanted to know if this is normal for the fans and AIO I’m using? Should I switch the QL120 fans back to the stock fans included with the Kraken? I’m assuming they’re much better at cooling, but I’ve also heard that switching the fans on a 360mm rad doesn’t do much. Additionally, is there anything else I can do to decrease temps aside from purchasing new fans? Could having 4 sticks of dual rank memory also be increasing my CPU temps because of the increased load on the memory controller?

Solution
I’ve also heard that switching the fans on a 360mm rad doesn’t do much

Curious as to where you have heard this?

Radiator fans are the primary method which provides an AIO its performance.

It also is a primary driver in custom watercooling loops where radiators can be very different in terms of thickness, fins per inch and radiator tube design or whether it is all copper, or metals like brass. AIO radiators are almost always aluminum with a very specific few using brass in some models (usually brands like Alphacool, Swiftech, some EK, etc)

Most AIOs use nearly identical or at least, very similar pumps and radiators, meaning the main differences between them would be the types of fans used. Static pressure fans are always...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I’ve also heard that switching the fans on a 360mm rad doesn’t do much

Curious as to where you have heard this?

Radiator fans are the primary method which provides an AIO its performance.

It also is a primary driver in custom watercooling loops where radiators can be very different in terms of thickness, fins per inch and radiator tube design or whether it is all copper, or metals like brass. AIO radiators are almost always aluminum with a very specific few using brass in some models (usually brands like Alphacool, Swiftech, some EK, etc)

Most AIOs use nearly identical or at least, very similar pumps and radiators, meaning the main differences between them would be the types of fans used. Static pressure fans are always preferred over basic airflow fans. Corsair QL fans are meant for RGB and simple case airflow, they are not necessarily designed for static pressure environments such as radiator fans. Some quick Google searches provide this info.

I've tested and reviewed A LOT of AIOs on the market - you can easily tell which ones are similar/same as another brand/vendor/model simply by looking at basic shapes and designs. Any differences are usually marketing/aesthetics differences (RGB, logo, color patterns, etc). Some may have some different firmware and control software while others lack it.

Reactions: Nemesia
Solution