getting q2 listed

Hi all, I have re-fired up my old q2 server. however, without changing
anything in the .cfg file, I now cannot get the game listed in eye, gamespy,
or even do a connect myip in console and connect. It is connectable ONLY on
my LAN. In the .cfg I have the following:

set public 1
setmaster q2master.planetquake.com

Any ideas? TIA OTG

"OscartheGrouch" <tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, I have re-fired up my old q2 server. however, without changing
> anything in the .cfg file, I now cannot get the game listed in eye,
gamespy,
> or even do a connect myip in console and connect. It is connectable ONLY
on
> my LAN. In the .cfg I have the following:
>
> set public 1
> setmaster q2master.planetquake.com
>
> Any ideas? TIA OTG

I think you need to put the url within 'quotes'.... I'll have to re-look
at
my server set up to verify. But the above example will only get you on
one master, not the GameSpy master or others, you'll need a separate
address for each master server.

Also, do you have a Firewall running? If so, you'll need to put the host in
the
DMZ so that it will advertise correctly otherwise while the server may send
the
heartbeat, no one will be able to actually "see" the server.

Depending on your particular setup, you may also need to "port forward" the
Q2 ports to the DMZ machine....

This worked for me with a Cable connection and a LINKSYS router....

-Auto-

"-Auto-" <auto@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "OscartheGrouch" <tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all, I have re-fired up my old q2 server. however, without changing
>> anything in the .cfg file, I now cannot get the game listed in eye,
> gamespy,
>> or even do a connect myip in console and connect. It is connectable ONLY
> on
>> my LAN. In the .cfg I have the following:
>>
>> set public 1
>> setmaster q2master.planetquake.com
>>
>> Any ideas? TIA OTG
>

> I think you need to put the url within 'quotes'.... I'll have to re-look
> at
> my server set up to verify. But the above example will only get you on
> one master, not the GameSpy master or others, you'll need a separate
> address for each master server.
>
> Also, do you have a Firewall running? If so, you'll need to put the host
> in
> the
> DMZ so that it will advertise correctly otherwise while the server may
> send
> the
> heartbeat, no one will be able to actually "see" the server.
>
> Depending on your particular setup, you may also need to "port forward"
> the
> Q2 ports to the DMZ machine....
>
> This worked for me with a Cable connection and a LINKSYS router....
>
> -Auto-

Ah yeah, added to DMZ, now all is good. Thanks

David

"OscartheGrouch" <tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, I have re-fired up my old q2 server. however, without changing
> anything in the .cfg file, I now cannot get the game listed in eye,
gamespy,
> or even do a connect myip in console and connect. It is connectable ONLY
on
> my LAN. In the .cfg I have the following:

Whats your server name?
I wanna check it out.

"David" <hsternak@nospamyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
> "OscartheGrouch" <tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all, I have re-fired up my old q2 server. however, without changing
>> anything in the .cfg file, I now cannot get the game listed in eye,
> gamespy,
>> or even do a connect myip in console and connect. It is connectable ONLY
> on
>> my LAN. In the .cfg I have the following:
>>

> Whats your server name?
> I wanna check it out.

It's hostname is Inetarena after the old isp I had that hosted it. IP addy
is 66.93.40.117:27910
It is lithium deathmatch, in other words lithium without a hook or runes. I
used Lithium because the rocket damage and speed was configurable as well as
other weapon strength. It's on the west coast of USA in Oregon. Hope to see
ya in there.

> It's hostname is Inetarena after the old isp I had that hosted it. IP addy
> is 66.93.40.117:27910
> It is lithium deathmatch, in other words lithium without a hook or runes.
> used Lithium because the rocket damage and speed was configurable as well
as
> other weapon strength. It's on the west coast of USA in Oregon. Hope to
see
> ya in there.

tried, first I didn't have the map. Then tried again a little later and
server is no longer there ;o(

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
> "OscartheGrouch" <tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> It's hostname is Inetarena after the old isp I had that hosted it. IP
>> addy
>> is 66.93.40.117:27910
>> It is lithium deathmatch, in other words lithium without a hook or runes.
>> used Lithium because the rocket damage and speed was configurable as well
> as
>> other weapon strength. It's on the west coast of USA in Oregon. Hope to
> see
>> ya in there.
>>

> tried, first I didn't have the map. Then tried again a little later and
> server is no longer there ;o(
>
> --
>
> Margolis
> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Sorry, heh. It's up again. At the suggestions of some friends I have added
lots of customs. I could go back to dm1-dm8 pretty easilly though. I don't
know, what do you think?

> "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
>> "OscartheGrouch" <tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> It's hostname is Inetarena after the old isp I had that hosted it. IP
>>> addy
>>> is 66.93.40.117:27910
>>> It is lithium deathmatch, in other words lithium without a hook or
>>> runes.
>>> used Lithium because the rocket damage and speed was configurable as
>>> well
>> as
>>> other weapon strength. It's on the west coast of USA in Oregon. Hope to
>> see
>>> ya in there.
>>>

>> tried, first I didn't have the map. Then tried again a little later and
>> server is no longer there ;o(
>>
>> --
>>
>> Margolis
>> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
>> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
>>

> Sorry, heh. It's up again. At the suggestions of some friends I have added
> lots of customs. I could go back to dm1-dm8 pretty easilly though. I don't
> know, what do you think?

Expect to see me there, it's been far too many years since I've played Q2
DM! :D

"EvilBill" <devlin_wright@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> "OscartheGrouch" <tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
>>> "OscartheGrouch" <tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> as
>>> see
>>>>

>>> tried, first I didn't have the map. Then tried again a little later and
>>> server is no longer there ;o(
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Margolis
>>> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
>>> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
>>>

>> Sorry, heh. It's up again. At the suggestions of some friends I have
>> added lots of customs. I could go back to dm1-dm8 pretty easilly though.
>> I don't know, what do you think?
>>

> Expect to see me there, it's been far too many years since I've played Q2
> DM! :D

Saw ya there, then saw it crash before I got in. This thing is crash prone
for some reason. I'll keep working on it.

> "EvilBill" <devlin_wright@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> Expect to see me there, it's been far too many years since I've played Q2
>> DM! :D
>
> Saw ya there, then saw it crash before I got in. This thing is crash prone
> for some reason. I'll keep working on it.

My Q2 crashed when I tried to take a screenshot, I'm not sure why. Maybe
your server crashed at the same time?

"OscartheGrouch" <tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Sorry, heh. It's up again. At the suggestions of some friends I have added
> lots of customs. I could go back to dm1-dm8 pretty easilly though. I don't
> know, what do you think?

is there someplace that I can download the maps you rotate? I like custom
maps, as long as they are readily available. Problem is, I don't have any
custom deathmatch maps at all, since I never really played dm. I was always
the ctf type of guy ;o)

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Hm, these are just maps I collected here and there through the years. I'd
put them on an ftp site...if I had a clue how:/

Tell you what, tonight, just dm1-dm8.

OscartheGrouch wrote:

> At the suggestions of some friends I have added lots of customs.
> I could go back to dm1-dm8 pretty easilly though.

Hi, if I may jump in, yes -- use dm1-dm8 only, so I can join. :)

> Hm, these are just maps I collected here and there through the years. I'd
> put them on an ftp site...if I had a clue how:/
>
> Tell you what, tonight, just dm1-dm8.

Hey, is Tom around? I could upload these maps to his ftp site? I would need
to chat with him. Yo, Tom....

This thing is up 24/7 now. Many maps can be retrieved from Tom's ftp site,
many from grieve's folder at that site.