Question Getting random bosd almost once a month (I'm Confused)

Jrmurder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2012
So like the title states I have been getting random errors:

(latest from top to bottom)
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

I have all these dump files as well if needed. Things I have done to try to remedy the issue:

1. Memtest for four(4) hours=No ram errors (did this outside of windows.)
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16

2. Just recently updated all my drivers, was told to update my chipset drivers to the AMD chipset drivers as well, I was using the ones provided by gigabyte when I got these errors.
X570 Aorus Elite Wifi.

3. Check temps while gaming, I really dont see any spikes under load CPU max is 65 Degrees, GPU 72 Degrees (max temps)
Ryzen 5 3600, Evga 2070 Super XC ultra gaming.

4. Ran a chkdsh (no errors as well) Did a sfc scan as well (no corruptions) I was starting to believe that the nvme was dying or running high temps (Max temp. 47 Degrees).
Intel ssd 660p Series 1tb

I am completely fresh out of ideas as what else I can do to figure out the issue. I got these errors while gaming never got them when the PC is idle. Sorry forgot to add that I also recently updated my bios to F11 (Improve PCIe device compatibility, Improve memory compatibility)

Any Assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to upload the dump files as well, Just not to sure where to upload them to.

Jrmurder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2012
Have you hav this issue for long time? Did you change or install anything before you noticed the errors started to appear?

How often do they occur? Are there one specific error that appears more often?

Nope didn't install anything new besides games. The last issue I had was with a Hyper X usb dac that kept on crashing the pc. I stopped using the dac and plugged in the headphones directly to the pc. I really cant remember when I stopped using the dac. The thing that is bothering me is that at least once of twice a month I have a crash.

The dates:
5/11/2020 PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
4/26/2020 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
4/18/2020 KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
3/15/2020 PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
3/8/2020 SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (maybe dac related)

From what I am seeing the PFN one came up twice so far. The last error could have been caused by the dac.

Jrmurder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2012
Under which circumstances does the errors tend to occur? I.e. which game are you playing when crash occurs ?
Hey I'm sorry I didn't get any notification that I got a reply 😔 this all happens under load, different games as well, from destiny 2 to the evil within 2. I have noticed as well a couple times I got 0xc0000005 error under applications, those same two games have crashed randomly and took me back to the desktop. Do you think it could be a memory error? I'm using an xmp profile as well to get it to 3200mhz.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Jrmurder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2012
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem
I have mini dumps already its just to upload them, can you give me an example of a file sharing site I could use, sorry im new to this :(

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, try one of these:

Google Drive

Microsoft OneDrive

Dropbox

Be sure to make the files publicly accessible so that it doesn't require a login.

Provide a link to the files here in the forum so others can download and review the files.

Edit: You might have to copy the files to another folder before you can upload them, due to permissions.

Reactions: Grobe

gardenman

Splendid
Sorry this is all the files in one folder
That's ok. Put new files in a new folder each time.

I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following results: https://eurythmicmatter.htmlpasta.com/
File information:051120-11515-01.dmp (May 11 2020 - 22:39:42)
Bugcheck:PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: destiny2.exe)
Uptime:13 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File information:042620-10453-01.dmp (Apr 26 2020 - 16:29:10)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MetroExodus.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 18 Hour(s), 40 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

File information:041820-10578-01.dmp (Apr 18 2020 - 14:20:58)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MsMpEng.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 51 Min(s), and 07 Sec(s)

File information:031520-10343-01.dmp (Mar 15 2020 - 17:15:19)
Bugcheck:PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: destiny2.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 19 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

File information:030820-10953-01.dmp (Mar 8 2020 - 21:46:00)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: WmiPrvSE.exe)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 19 Hour(s), 46 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-WIFI-rev-10
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version F2 and the latest is version F12e. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Jrmurder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2012
I forgot to mention that i updated my bios a week after all this happened.
Didnt get any blue screens until yesterday.
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
I'm in office i dont have access to the dmp. file but will post later on. When this had happened I was playing the evil within 2.
Oddly enough when my pc restarted from the error I reopened the game and about 30 mins in the game it crashed to my desktop no warning what so ever. When I checked my event viewer the error on the applicaton was 0xc0000005 .
What are you thoughts on this ?
My next plan I'm thinking of doing is to turn off XMP profile on my ram.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So error 1 looks like it could be lan drivers. You seem to have newest LAN drivers on gigabyte site
2nd one could be the Nvidia drivers
3rd one crashed defender, i normally blame lan drivers for that sort of thing
I can't tell what caused 4th
or number 5...

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

What are specs of the PC?

Jrmurder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2012
When it initially crashed I did the SFC /scannow and the repair command as well but i didnt do them one after the other would that make a difference? I know its an intel lan controller, should I check intels site?

My Specs:
Amd Ryzen 5 3600
X570 gigabyte aorus elite wifi
Corsair vengeance pro rbg 3200mhz 2x8gb
Rtx 2070 super evga
Intel 660p m.2 nvme 1tb

Is there anything you need to know? besides some rbg fans and an aio lol

Colif

Win 11 Master
when you run sfc/dism doesn't really matter, as long as they didn't have any errors.

I did look on intel site already or I would have linked drivers. All I found was their proset drivers. The LAN drivers on Gigabyte site weren't much newer than what you have installed, and could be the same ones. reason I didn't show link :)

Although now I know it - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/64403/Intel-Ethernet-Controller-I211-Series

I should have asked, do you use Wifi or Lan? It could be a similar story though, you may have the same drivers as what show on Gigabyte website

The bottom 2 here appear to be the Wifi/BT drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/ww...intel-wi-fi-6-series/intel-wi-fi-6-ax200.html

Jrmurder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2012
Im currently using the lan alone not even the Bluetooth. I didn't even connect the antennas to the back of the MB. I'm just curious as well, I want to learn how to read these dump files, what suggests that its the lan/wifi drivers?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its possible I am wrong. I have been self learning how to decipher the codes for last few years. I can't really show you anything out of the crashes you got. I would if I could :)
Alas very few BSOD are as obvious as I would like.
a lot of it is just learning what driver can cause errors.
NVIDIA drivers have been on that list for months but I sometimes feel I blame them too much, not sure if its a trap either way.

Did you try running DDU in safe mode and try getting different Nvidia drivers - there are May 15 ones now
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

I probably blamed 3 on LAN because of what crashed. Its part of Windows Defender. As I said, If I see it crash I normally blame LAN drivers

rest being games could be GPU drivers.
Lastthing to crash was Windows Management Instrumentation - https://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wmiprvse.exe.html - but that crash could also be caused by GPU drivers.

Jrmurder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2012
I really appreciate you taking the time out to help me. I want to try to learn to decipher the codes as well lol.

Yes I did a DDU install already and installed the latest drivers as well, but this was about a month or two back so I could always try to do it again.

With the LAN drivers should I do a clean install as well?

What are your thoughts on the 0xc0000005 access memory violation error? I've gotten them in two games Destiny 2 and The evil with in 2.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i looked at 1st post twice and only after I typed out memtest instructions did I see you had done that already. lol. As ram would have been an obvious candidate for drivers that should work to not.

What are your thoughts on the 0xc0000005 access memory violation error? I've gotten them in two games Destiny 2 and The evil with in 2.

one fix for those is run sfc/dism which we did already.
Another is a clean boot (as it could be a conflict with a start up program)

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Try doing ddu 1st and we see if it was LAN.

Jrmurder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2012
ooh ok I did the memtest the only thing is that i did it with two memory sticks installed and not one at a time. I turned off the xmp profile and manually overclocked the memory to 3200mhz 16-18-18-18-36 the only difference I did from the xmp was change the last timing (tRC) to 56 instead of 54 ( i got this info from an LTT forum with a guy with the same board and processor) he was having issues with his system crashing. I did this recently like last wk and so far no crashes, but I only use the pc for three to four hours a night so not much usage time.

I will try the clean boot, its just that these crashes are so random sometimes, I would go days or even weeks without any crashes and then boom out of nowhere I would get one lol.

Im going to do the ddu when I get home tonight.

Colif

Win 11 Master
My Specs:
Amd Ryzen 5 3600
X570 gigabyte aorus elite wifi
Corsair vengeance pro rbg 3200mhz 2x8gb
Rtx 2070 super evga
Intel 660p m.2 nvme 1tb

excluding a few details, your PC identical to one I want to get in a few months

Now there is one possible reason you getting so many memory related errors even though memtest works fine
Here are the codes for your ram - CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Here is the memory list for motherboard - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-aorus-elite-wifi_matisse_191231_v2.pdf
I don't see ram on list. I know codes change with time but most of the 3200 kits tested for board are CMK and the letters only move 1 per version,

3200 CORSAIR 8GB CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 DS 16-18-18-36 1.35v V V v 2133
3200 CORSAIR 8GB CMD32GX4M4B3200C16 DS 16-18-18-36 1.35v V V v 2133
3200 CORSAIR 16GB CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 DS 16-18-18-36 1.35v V V V v 2133
3200 CORSAIR 8GB CMD64GX4M8B3200C16 SS 16-18-18-36 1.35v V V V v 2133
3200 CORSAIR 8GB CMK64GX4M8B3200C16 SS 16-18-18-36 1.35v V V V v 2133
3200 CORSAIR 8GB CMW32GX4M4C3200C16 ver5.32 SS 16-18-18-36 1.35v V V V v 2133
3200 CORSAIR 8GB CMT32GX4M4C3200C16 ver4.31 SS 16-18-18-36 1.35v V V V v 2133
3200 CORSAIR 8GB CMD64GX4M8B3200C16 ver5.32 SS 16-18-18-36 1.35v V V V v 2133

that is off the gigabyte listing, there are more Corsair on list, faster and slower but thats all the 3200 that matches your speed. And only the top one is a 16gb set.
Did you look at motherboard ram listing when choosing? Did you check the corsair memory picker?

Jrmurder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2012
forehead slap Rip lol I didn't I assumed cause it was a newer ram kit it should be compatible :(
What are my options ? I mean so far I havent had a crash im still monitoring as well but the computer is running fine, I guess I should look in to selling that kit and getting one that is on the list.

Did some quick googling and found the same solution that im using with the timings, I hope it docent crash .

Last edited: