Getting random white noise from fullscreen applications

Mars-

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
For the past few months, I've occassionally had problems with using Netflix.

It started out with making my primary monitor become constant white noise whenever I started an episode. After the initial loading phase before the video starts is when it'd happen. I found out that turning my secondary monitor off, and then on (which as always made my primary monitor temporarily go black) would remove the white noise. Then suddenly I stopped getting the white noise at all, and I could use Netflix without hassle.

A few weeks later, using netflix started making that same white noise flash on my primary monitor for a split second and then continue as normal. So the white noise didn't stay there like it did earlier... except a few days later, it started doing that again, and I had to start using the secondary monitor trick again.

This problem went and came once again, but this time around the secondary monitor trick stopped working. Now I had to restart my computer twice to get the white noise away. Yesterday, the constant white noise stopped again, only to be replaced by the temporary flash of white noise instead. And today I discovered that while Netflix only gives a flash of white noise again, suddenly it's games that make the screen constantly stay in white noise mode (and require two reboots to vanish).

Does anyone have any idea what this is? I've got a GTX Titan, its temperatures have been stable for its entire lifespan, and it's only 1.5 years old. I also update my drivers whenever an update comes out. Sometimes the problem seems to have something to do with my Oculus Rift, because twice it's been because of an update to the Oculus runtime that Netflix stopped doing that thing. But I've had the same version for the most recent cases, including the current one with the games.

Has anyone experience this before? Did you figure it out? If no one has encountered it, do you think it's software or hardware related?

Mars-

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
I figured it out myself by doing some more googling. It seems to be an issue with 144 Hz monitors and how they interact with Windows/NVidia drivers. No fix has been found for this yet, it seems.