Question Getting "reboot and select proper boot device" after installing new ram.

shanleyhan

Reputable
Jul 5, 2018
I've been running on 16gb of ram, but some of the games I play are regularly capping that out, so I purchased an additional 16gb. Upon installing it, it's giving me the message to reboot and select proper boot device. I had 2x8gb of corsair Vengeance 3600 and added 1x16 of the exact same. I've tried everything I can think of and even tried removing the 1x16 and starting with just the 2x8. Same issue. I've checked the boot menu and it's reading my hard drive still. I'm not super tech smart and am out of ideas. Any help is immensely appreciated.

My specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/G7gh2m

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
reseat the m.2 drive

In the OP specs, there is no M.2 drive. Only 870 Evo 2.5" SSD. But then again, OP talks about "hard drive" showing up in BIOS. HDD and SSD are completely different, just like M.2 and 2.5".

I had 2x8gb of corsair Vengeance 3600 and added 1x16 of the exact same.

You mixing RAM, especially different sized sticks is a bad idea.
Further reading: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

I'm not super tech smart and am out of ideas.

Now, what you describe, is OS drive issue. Somehow, your boot sector has become corrupted (most likely due to your mixing memory) and PC is unable to boot to OS.

You talk about "hard drive", which is mechanical 3.5" HDD, but in your specs, there is 2.5" SSD. Do you have both? Or do you mixed up HDD and SSD terms?

If you only have single drive, where OS lives, then only little bit what you can try, are checking all cables within your PC to see if they are properly seated. Unplugging and re-plugging SATA data cable, between your MoBo and OS drive might help, but i doubt it.

In order to fix your PC, you're looking towards new Win install, which may wipe your OS drive, resulting you loosing your personal data.
Now, you can save your personal data, if you spend some money to buy 2nd drive. Idea is:
  • Buy 2nd drive.
  • Unplug current OS drive from system.
  • Plug in new drive.
  • Install Windows on new drive.
  • Make sure PC boots to OS.
  • Plug back your old drive, as data drive
  • Copy paste the personal data over, from old drive to new drive. OR keep old drive as 2nd, storage drive.