getting rid of APU

jflm02

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
I have an APU (amd 6300 radeon hd) currently on my PC can I change it to a CPU (intel I7 6700K) and a GPU (
GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070) separately?And if so how?(youtube link on how would also be appreciated).

Solution
You would need to change the CPU, motherboard, and likely memory, at a minimum, to change from the AMD based system to an Intel based system.

The GTX 1070 should work with either configuration as long as your power supply (PSU) meets the needs of the 1070 and the rest of your system.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You would need to change the CPU, motherboard, and likely memory, at a minimum, to change from the AMD based system to an Intel based system.

The GTX 1070 should work with either configuration as long as your power supply (PSU) meets the needs of the 1070 and the rest of your system.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your motherboard only fits a certain kind of apu/cpu that are all in the same amd family, FM2+, AM3+ etc, so will not accept anything of a different family like lga1155 or lga1150. So no, you'd need to change the motherboard to match the wanted cpu.
There are 2 types of graphics processors. The built-in on cpu (integrated gpu / igpu) which is the radeon HD, and non-integrated (add on cards) like the gtx1070. If your motherboard has the long pcie x16 slot directly under the cpu socket, you can use that with any modern gpu, so yes you could add the gtx1070 to the pc. The only issue there is the fact that the gtx1070 is an extremely powerful gpu, so much that it's going to be considerably more powerful than your current APU can use, so ends up being a huge waste of money. Kinda like owning a Ferrari when the only place you can drive it is up and down the driveway. A better match for the 6300 is the gtx1060.