Question getting same fps as i get on ultra on low

Aug 13, 2019
hi!
i have a pretty high end pc and it cant run pretty much all the games it should be able to run. my issue is that no matter what settings or resolution im on, ill get low fps (playing on ultra gives me the same fps as playing on potato settings and res). its really stressful because i saved up alot of money for this and its performing way below my expectations. i have all drivers installed and have done a clean install of windows 10 pro to no avail. all help would be appreciated! (no v-sync is not on and yes my hdmi is plugged into my gpu)

cpu - i7 7700
gpu - gtx 1070
mobo - asus strix rog b250g gaming
ram -hyperx 4x4gb ddr4 2133mhz
psu - corsair cx750
ssd- kingston 120gb
hdd - wd blue 1tb

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
Are all of the FPS's around the same for every game? Have you tried using a DVI or DP cable instead? I saw the title and thought CPU bottleneck but we have about the same system (I had a 1060 in my 7700k rig and did not have the issues you are having)

Aug 13, 2019
What games/fps are you getting?

What's your monitor?

What version Geforce driver are you running? How/where from did you install driver?

Are you using Geforce Experience to optimise games?

Run Userbench and post link to your results

i usually only play rust, minecraft, and fortnite but its the same for all of them, settings dont affect fps and it usally stays at 30-60 and rarely runs smooth

i have a benq gw2270 if i remember correctly

i got the drivers from geforce experience

using nvidia control panel to optimize games has no performance change. this whole thing really confuses me

temps and usage all seems normal too. i do notice that when i lower / raise settings, the usage of my cpu and gpu change but not the fps.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20957903

Aug 13, 2019
Are all of the FPS's around the same for every game? Have you tried using a DVI or DP cable instead? I saw the title and thought CPU bottleneck but we have about the same system (I had a 1060 in my 7700k rig and did not have the issues you are having)
yes ive used dvi, made no difference :(. and yea shouldnt be bottleneck, both are pretty high end

Aug 13, 2019
Yeah, thoroughly check cpu temp. According to your Userbench results, the 7700's turbo isn't increasing. I wonder why.

Use coretemp utility to monitor cpu temp and frequency.
i use msi afterburner to monitor those things. is that worse than coretemp? everything seems find in afterburner tho

Aug 13, 2019
Have you checked your refresh rates and made sure that they were actually running at 60hz rather than 30? I have a problem where sometimes my system will run my monitor at 30hz and when it does that and I have vsync on games aren't smooth.
yeah refresh rates are set to 60hz in nvidia control panel

Aug 13, 2019
i built my pc a few months ago and its pretty 'high end' in my opinion. i cant run almost every game smoothly at medium settings on 1080p. i cant even run fortnite at a steady 60, that should tell you something. the settings and resolution dont even affect the fps on same games. i been workin my a** off to be able to afford this and it cant even run games i shouldnt even have to worry about maxing out. all help is appreciated because im dumbfounded and im sick and tired of stressing about it.

i use msi afterburner to monitor temps and usage and everything looks normal it just runs like a low end pc:((

my specs:

cpu - i7 7700
cooler - arctic esports 33
gpu - gtx 1070 fe
mobo - asus rog strix b250g gaming
ram - 4x4 hyperx fury 2133mhz
psu - corsair cx750
hdd- wd blue 1tb
ssd - kingston 120g ssd

things ive tried -
full reset of the pc
windows 10 reinstallation
checked all connections
made sure hdmi was plugged into gpu (lmfao)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/21136425

once again, all help is appreciated <3

The 7700 has an all-core turbo well below the 4.2 GHz of that of the 7700K....; 3.6 GHz is the 7700's correct base clock, and, might be where it sits for an all-core load to maintain it's 65 watt TDP.

Make sure you are in Balanced or performance mode within WIndows power plan. Make sure no one has disabled INtel SPeed Boost or Turbo
I'd first install HWMonitor, and verify all cores are going to/maintaining 3.6 GHz under load... (you can subject your CPU to an intensive load with Prime95/small FFTs, or even CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU; Prime95 will quickly show within 5 minutes if you have CPU cooling issues.)

Although Windows was reinstalled, did we also install all mainboard chipset drivers, and Nvidia's GPU driver packages? (MS applies default drivers at install, and although the system will work, it will be quite mediocre in gaming compared to with all the correct drivers...)

Last edited:

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
so first let me clear it out for you that you pc was high end like 3 years ago its more like mid range right now so dont expect high end perfromance from it.
also did you buy your parts used? because buying 1070 and 7700 new doesnt make any sense in 2019. unless there was a very good deal for it.

InvalidError

Titan
so first let me clear it out for you that you pc was high end like 3 years ago its more like mid range right now
If you expand your definition of the market to include AMD's Ryzen APUs instead of comparing the old i7's standing only against Intel's own current chips, quad-core i7 are practically entry-level now and will be even more so a few more months from now where the 10k-series i3 will also gain HT.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
quad-core i7 are practically entry-level now and will be even more so a few more months from now where the 10k-series i3 will also gain HT.

Depends what the cpu is used for, in games, I would argue 4 core cpus are entry level and i7's are enhanced entry 😊. Imho, 4c i7s still have quite a few lives left before they're considered minimum and wallets forced opened and white lies told to the missus.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

InvalidError

Titan
Depends what the cpu is used for, in games, I would argue 4 core cpus are entry level and i7's are enhanced entry 😊.
I did go through the trouble of specifying entry-level relative to what is currently (or soon-to-be in the SMT i3's case) available. By this time next year, new desktop CPUs worse than quad-core i7 will be nearly extinct apart from Pentium and Athlon GE active socket protectors.

Reactions: boju

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
i built my pc a few months ago and its pretty 'high end' in my opinion. i cant run almost every game smoothly at medium settings on 1080p. i cant even run fortnite at a steady 60, that should tell you something. the settings and resolution dont even affect the fps on same games. i been workin my a** off to be able to afford this and it cant even run games i shouldnt even have to worry about maxing out. all help is appreciated because im dumbfounded and im sick and tired of stressing about it.

i use msi afterburner to monitor temps and usage and everything looks normal it just runs like a low end pc:((

my specs:

cpu - i7 7700
cooler - arctic esports 33
gpu - gtx 1070 fe
mobo - asus rog strix b250g gaming
ram - 4x4 hyperx fury 2133mhz
psu - corsair cx750
hdd- wd blue 1tb
ssd - kingston 120g ssd

things ive tried -
full reset of the pc
windows 10 reinstallation
checked all connections
made sure hdmi was plugged into gpu (lmfao)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/21136425

once again, all help is appreciated <3
With everything performing poorly across the board I'd guess at a power issue, could be caused by the motherboard but I'd be leaning more towards a faulty psu. If you can test a separate psu with your system I'd start there just to rule it out.
If that's out of the question then I would check your ram, test in pairs of 2 only in the correct dual channel slots, rule out if you have a faulty dimm. Can you also list your motherboard and gpu bios's.