Question Getting screwed by Seasonic RMA - Advice pls.

rrbraj

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I purchased a seasonic x750 PSU back in 2014 for my first build. A couple weeks back, there was a small bang from the PSU while I was gaming and then I couldn't power it back on. I sent the unit to the local distributor as per the instructions of Seasonic. The distributor however said he didn't have any x750 on stock and offered a Deepcool PSU instead and when I said I wasn't familiar with Deepcool, offered a seasonic prime 850 but said I may have to pay extra. I thought the distributor was screwing around and emailed seasonic and even attached call recordings detailing the circumstances. In India, we have reasons to doubt our distributors cos they're always trying to make a quick buck. Seasonic offered a refurbished focus plus 750 as a replacement. They explained that due to certification issues they couldn't import new merchandise into India. The focus plus is not an equivalent unit to the X 750. Since the x750 has been replaced with the prime series. I got really upset and sent an email explaining what I thought of them and their RMA process. Today seasonic got back saying I had only two options. Settle for a refurbished 750 prime or go for the prime 850 being offered by the dealer. I don't know what I should go for now. Personally, I feel that the 850 PSU is overkill for my current build.

I need to know if seasonic is giving me a fair deal and I'm not getting screwed. Because I've read elsewhere that seasonic usually ships a brand new unit. I'm not being greedy here. I just want my money's worth. If someone could please offer some advice....

Here is the full text of our correspondence:

Hello,

We are back to you and here is the 2 options on the table:

We can ship you a PRIME 750 Platinum with its cables (refurbished unit) for your X-750 Gold. You will get a better plateform and efficiency. We will manage for the parcel and hopefully no big deal with customs as it's a single unit for RMA. In this case, we will need your complete address with zipcode and phone number for the shipping company.
If you don't like, you can check with our distributor and see what stock they still have and manage an exchange. We have checked with them and no 750W Gold on stock. So most likely the PRIME 850 Gold from your previous email.

Please kindly let us know in order to know if we have to dispatch a PSU from Taiwan or not.
Thank you.

---
Best Regards / Cordialement,
------------------------------------------
RMA / Support Team Seasonic
FAQ & Troubleshooting - Warranty & RMA Policy
-------------------------------------------

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 19:37:28 +08, Seasonic Support Desk <supportdesk@seasonic.com> wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

As you have explained, since introduction of BIS, it's not possible to officially shipped more stock and we didn't apply for this certification as it's only required for a single market (which is not the case of all others certifications we have). We do understand that first proposal was not as good as expected but this is what our distributor offered. We will see if we have any other options based on their stock or ours for RMA. We will keep you updated asap.

Thank you and a pleasant evening.

---

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 19:26:53 +08, Raj wrote:
I would just like to clarify that Tirupati Enterprises proposed a cheaper model from another company (Deepcool) first and only proposed the Seasonic 850W model after I said I didn't want a PSU from a company other than seasonic. I have attached recordings of the calls I've had with them, just for your reference, in case you guys have any doubts.

Besides, an 850W SMPS would be overkill for my build. My specs are: Core i7 4790k, 4 x 4 GB G.Skill Memory Sticks, 1 TB HDD, 120 GB Samsung EVO 840 SSD, MSI Gaming 7 Z97 Mobo, MSI N770 TF 2GD5/OC and 4 fans. This was built in 2014 with the Seasonic X-750 PSU.

The X-750 has been replaced with the Prime series. As someone working at Seasonic, I would expect you to know that before sending me a reply. Offering a refurbished replacement for my PSU is just not cool. I know that you guys have been replacing faulty PSUs with new ones in the past in India. However, even the refurbished item you are offering is not on par with my old PSU as an equivalent PSU would be in the Prime series. Atleast, that's what people on the hardware forums are saying.

I also understand that its difficult for you guys to import stuff here because of mandatory BIS certification. However, I'm prepared to wait if its going to take another week or so. The fact that Tirupati Enterprises did not stock enough merchandise for RMA, is technically, not my fault and is not my concern.

My PSU didn't just stop working one fine day. There was a bang while the computer was in operation and it caused my electrical line to trip. My best guess is that one of the capacitors in the PSU popped. I was gaming at the time and it wasn't even running at peak load. Just Dead Space 3. I still don't know if any other peripherals have taken a hit and I won't know until you guys send me a replacement.

5 years back, I chose Seasonic because of the excellent track record of performance and 7 year warranty. I'm just disappointed that you guys are trying to push a sub-standard PSU as a replacement.

Please ask the distributor to send details of other Seasonic PSUs currently available for RMA with specs / links. I'll pay extra if it means I can get a decent PSU, but, a new one, and from Seasonic only. Brand loyalty is something I take seriously even if customer satisfaction is something that you don't. I also want you guys to exhaust all other avenues for addressing my issue. I am not interested in whether you can enforce the distributor or not. I'll still hold you guys responsible, if I'm not satisfied.

I paid a fair amount 5 years back to avoid downtime and get a problem free, long lasting PSU and I expect you guys to honour the terms of your warranty.

- Raj

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 15:51:14 +08, Seasonic Support Desk <supportdesk@seasonic.com> wrote:
Hello,

We are back to you as after checking with them, they don't have stock for RMA and this why they had to propose you an upgrade.
Would a FOCUS Plus 750 Gold (refurbished) unit may do for you as we don't have anymore X-750 on stock? If so, please kindly provide us your complete postal address with zipcode and phone number and we will ship it to you as a RMA unit.

Thank you.

---

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 22:20:59 +08, Seasonic Support Desk <supportdesk@seasonic.com> wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Seasonic.

We will contact them and see how we can assist you on this but please note that we have limited way to enforce anything mainly due to the fact that shipping PSU's to India is currently complicated due to local requirement for certifications and it may affect RMA in some instance. We will come back to you as fast as possible.

Thank you.

---
This email may contain information which is privileged and confidential and intended solely for the person or organization to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or disseminate the information or take any action in reliance of it. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Seasonic Electronics Co., Ltd. and its affiliates. If you have received this message in error, do not open any attachment but please notify the sender (above) and delete this message from your system. Please rely on your own virus scanner; no responsibility is taken by the sender for any damage.

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 19:23:09 +08, Raj wrote:
Hi.

I contacted you guys earlier with reference to an RMA. I'm from India and am trying to process a replacement for my seasonic X 750 PSU which I had bought in 2014 and is currently under warranty. About a couple weeks back the PSU gave out. I returned the unit along with original box and cables to the local distributor, Tirupati enterprises, Kolkata. 3 working days after receiving the faulty unit, a representative from Tirupati enterprises called me and offered to replace the faulty unit with a Deepcool 750W PSU. I explained to the rep that I wanted a seasonic replacement as I'm not familiar with Deepcool. But the rep said he didn't have an equivalent unit for replacement as the X series has been discontinued and only 850w Prime PSU was available and I had to pay an additional Rs. 3000/- for it or go with a Deepcool PSU. I also pointed out to the rep that their website, www.overclockerszone.com lists a Prime seasonic 750w unit as available. But the rep said it's not available for replacement as RMA. My rig has been down for a couple weeks now. Please help me out.

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 11:18:03 +08, Seasonic Support Desk <supportdesk@seasonic.com> wrote:
Hello Raj,

Thank you for contacting Seasonic and sorry for this issue.

In India, RMA is directly handle by our local distributor. You can find with this link all location where to contact them to start your RMA process:

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused.

---

Last edited:

rrbraj

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I know no one here can do that. I just wanted to make sure I'm getting a fair deal. I ended up paying extra to get the 850w PSU. Thanks for the reply.
Well how much exactly extra will you have to pay for the new model?

No one on the forums can make them send you a new unit, up to you what you want to do here. If the cost was something like 1/10 or 1/5th of a new PSU, I'd just take the new higher wattage one.

rrbraj

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
BIS certification is something the Indian government brought in for stopping the influx of cheap and low quality electronics and other items from countries like China. Seasonic would have had no trouble getting certification if they had actually tried. They just replied that they had decided not to apply for certification as the market wasn't huge enough. What'll happen to the people out there still buying Seasonic merchandise? It's such a bad decision from a business point of view.

BIS certification is something the Indian government brought in for stopping the influx of cheap and low quality electronics and other items from countries like China. Seasonic would have had no trouble getting certification if they had actually tried. They just replied that they had decided not to apply for certification as the market wasn't huge enough. What'll happen to the people out there still buying Seasonic merchandise? It's such a bad decision from a business point of view.

Things are never that simple or simplistic. ;)

TRENDING THREADS