Question Getting seemingly random BSOD's [Windows 10]

May 6, 2020
Hello

I made a new pc build, also my first, in the beginning of April. Since then i have had quite a few BSOD's implying i've made some sort of mistake, although i feel pretty confident in how i built it. Each BSOD appears to be random, at least to me. I cant quite decode whether there is any pattern. Most of the time it's a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, with varying details. I will put the dump files here too.

All crashes except one happened either while booting or very shortly after logging into windows. The one time it crashed while running happened yesterday, while trying to launch a rather old game i had JUST installed. It seemed to be a crash relevant to DirectX, although I feel this might be a coincidence, as it's nothing like the other crashes. There are only 3 dump files right now, as I reinstalled windows earlier only to find the problem persisted a short while after, and therefore lost the old ones. I believe it is some sort of hardware issue.

My suspicions might be the new NVME SSD is somehow faulty, or there is an issue with memory perhaps. The reason I suspect the new SSD is it disappeared completely from the system when the very first crash happened. After 2 reboots, it was back to normal. It hasn't happened in any of the following crashes though.

It is also worth noting that on every single boot, two warnings are logged in the event log with ID 51, regarding disk2 which should correspond to my NVME drive. I haven't thought much of these. I should have the most recent drivers, as I have tried all kinds of things to see if it is a software issue. My BIOS is up to date as well. I really can't remember exactly what I have tried at this point, but It has included various scans like sfc/scannow.

If someone could give me even an idea as to what might be wrong, or perhaps could have some sort of insight on what the issue is, I would greatly appreciate the help :)

The full specs:
CPU: I7-9700K
GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 Super
PSU: Corsair RM 650
Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F GAMING
Memory: 2 x Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz 8GB
Cooler: NZXT X62 KRAKEN
Storage: Kingston A2000 M.2 SSD, plus one older SSD (Kingston) and HDD.

Dump files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V8PrrVzl9PXK9MTg9QjqvpHgQ5lE78RY

SLIGHT UPDATE:
A dump file from the most recent crash was also generated as MEMORY.DMP:
Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pVV2mkTGpP4xIp3thQV1Xdah-OJSaQ0u

Last edited:

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Perhaps try installing windows to a different drive and booting from that, if everything works without presenting the same BSOD, then you might have isolated the problem to the nvme drive.

if possible you could even try that nvme drive in another machine too and test it there, if the problem persists when booting from a different drive then you know another component is causing the issue

May 6, 2020
Perhaps try installing windows to a different drive and booting from that, if everything works without presenting the same BSOD, then you might have isolated the problem to the nvme drive.

if possible you could even try that nvme drive in another machine too and test it there, if the problem persists when booting from a different drive then you know another component is causing the issue

Right, that's a good idea, can't actually believe i haven't thought of that! Should be said that it only crashses once in a while, so i won't know right off the bat, but I suppose i'll use another drive for a while and see.

Augustus55

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
Check your POWER settings.
I had a similar issue with two CD-ROMs and every time I tried to use them, I'd get the EVENT 51 followed by the dreadful BSOD.
Right click on the Start icon, click on System and then select Power & Sleep. Change the Power mode to Best Performance.
I'm running Windows 10 1903 on a desktop, six HDD's and two CD-ROMs.