[SOLVED] Getting SSD for Boot drive, need some help with my HDD.

CandyCornGamer

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
So I just ordered an SSD M.2 which I plan to use as my new PC's boot drive. I have a 4tb HDD that I use as a second storage option (my current PC boots off a 1tb HDD) and was told a long while ago that if I have any data I want to keep, that I'd need to partition a portion of my HDD and send it to the partitioned portion of my HDD.

My question is this, once I do that, and build my new pc, after I plug my 4TB HDD into the new pc do I need to format the HDD? I'm fairly new to using partitions, so not quite sure how it works. Do I format the HDD before I plug it into my new PC (with the partition created already) or after? And once that's finished, how do I get my data to the un-partitioned portion of the HDD, and can I remove the partition?

Solution
Unfortunately I can't, its an OEM key so it won't work on another motherboard.
OK then...new license for the new PC.

When you plug in the 4TB secondary drive, AFTER THE OS IS INSTALLED ON THE NEW SSD, you don't need to do any 'partitioning' with it.
The data on it remains. Any applications you've installed on that won't work, but all your personal data will still be there.
When you load windows onto the m.2 ssd, do not have any other drives connected.
After windows is installed, you can reconnect all your drives and the data folders will be available.

If you had any apps on the hdd, they will need to be reinstalled.

If a new clean build and reinstalling of apps will be a chore, there is another option.
Make that ssd a Samsung 1tb drive and use the free Samsung ssd migration app to move your windows from the 1tb hdd to the new ssd.

USAFRet

Titan
So I just ordered an SSD M.2 which I plan to use as my new PC's boot drive. I have a 4tb HDD that I use as a second storage option (my current PC boots off a 1tb HDD) and was told a long while ago that if I have any data I want to keep, that I'd need to partition a portion of my HDD and send it to the partitioned portion of my HDD.

My question is this, once I do that, and build my new pc, after I plug my 4TB HDD into the new pc do I need to format the HDD? I'm fairly new to using partitions, so not quite sure how it works. Do I format the HDD before I plug it into my new PC (with the partition created already) or after? And once that's finished, how do I get my data to the un-partitioned portion of the HDD, and can I remove the partition?
What size/make/model is the new SSD?
How much space is consumed on your current boot drive, the 1TB?

CandyCornGamer

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
When you load windows onto the m.2 ssd, do not have any other drives connected.
After windows is installed, you can reconnect all your drives and the data folders will be available.

If you had any apps on the hdd, they will need to be reinstalled.

If a new clean build and reinstalling of apps will be a chore, there is another option.
Make that ssd a Samsung 1tb drive and use the free Samsung ssd migration app to move your windows from the 1tb hdd to the new ssd.

It's going to be a new Windows install, will that be a problem or no? As for getting a bigger SSD, I can't right now and this was given to me by my mother.

CandyCornGamer

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015

USAFRet

Titan
Unfortunately I can't, its an OEM key so it won't work on another motherboard.

When you plug in the 4TB secondary drive, AFTER THE OS IS INSTALLED ON THE NEW SSD, you don't need to do any 'partitioning' with it.
The data on it remains. Any applications you've installed on that won't work, but all your personal data will still be there.

Solution

CandyCornGamer

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015

So things like my music and photos and all that correct?