[SOLVED] Getting strange artifacts at startup and montitors turning off

Sep 11, 2020
My graphics card is having issues. It doesnt work right when the pc tower is standing...so I have to run it laying on its side. When standing, I get artifacts on the screen....the vertical lines or rainbow polka dots, or the monitors dont get a signal at all and remain dark.

So laying the PC on its side at least allows me to use it to some extent. When I start up in the morning, I get the strange artifacts until the PC has "warmed up" a bit..then they go away. If I try and livestream though using OBS.....or play a game....the monitors will just go dark....I can still hear whatever was going on in Windows....if I was in a Xbox Party whilst streaming for excample....I can still hear them and they can hear me....its just that my screens arent getting a signal and I have to restart the PC.

Anyone know what is causing this? Is there a remedy? Or do I just have a bad graphics card and I need to replace it?

Any help and advise would be much appreciated!

Solution
So have you tried booting without your bad GPU?

Your GPU is faulty, and you don't need it for accessing the BIOS.

Just try uninstalling your Radeon card, and try to boot to the BIOS. If the polka dots still show up, then make sure to check if you are pressing the right key on your keyboard to access it.

The video malfunction is probably happening because your machine is attempting to boot to the OS.

So you should probably remove the storage drive, and your video card, it may actually boot to the bios properly.
You know, I'd usually say 'screw it' as you said you are striving for your 780 Ti already.
But have you tried if your issues disappear if you use integrated graphics, or if you get a very cheap low-end GPU, like, let's say a GT 210 and try to see if this all happens under usage? I wouldn't say that your motherboard cannot cause this.

Reactions: OmegaMaximus

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
And if you are pairing an FX 8350 with a 780ti, then that might result in a bottleneck.
Especially because you are using one of the best 780ti's.

Sep 11, 2020
You know, I'd usually say 'screw it' as you said you are striving for your 780 Ti already.
But have you tried if your issues disappear if you use integrated graphics, or if you get a very cheap low-end GPU, like, let's say a GT 210 and try to see if this all happens under usage? I wouldn't say that your motherboard cannot cause this.

Well, I did try the card in another PCI slot on the board and I also had the same problems.

My mainboard:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/970 extreme4/#Specification

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
But a
And if you are pairing an FX 8350 with a 780ti, then that might result in a bottleneck.
Especially because you are using one of the best 780ti's.
But a very small one.

Sep 11, 2020
I dont have a GPU with integrated graphics and I did try my older graphics card out in the PCI slot but the motherboard gave me error messages on it so I think that old graphics card from my older PC is bad. The bios wouldnt even boot up with this older card in it. This may be why my older PC didnt work anymore....I just need to get more hardware so I can troubleshoot these issues better.

I am working on it...this has turned into a new hobby for me!

Reactions: 2plash6
Sep 11, 2020
But a
But a very small one.
Thanks for that link! I read through it and the consensus was that there should be no bottle necking with this combination. Also, this is the combination that the seller of these used so he said its fine. I would be basically buying his older setup since he changed from PC to Laptop and Apple?!!

Reactions: 2plash6

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
So have you tried booting without your bad GPU?

Your GPU is faulty, and you don't need it for accessing the BIOS.

Just try uninstalling your Radeon card, and try to boot to the BIOS. If the polka dots still show up, then make sure to check if you are pressing the right key on your keyboard to access it.

The video malfunction is probably happening because your machine is attempting to boot to the OS.

So you should probably remove the storage drive, and your video card, it may actually boot to the bios properly.

Solution
Hey AJ...how can I undervolt it?? I haver never done something like this.
I haven't done this myself, as I never had to and I have very low knowledge about it. S.o. else may give you proper info, otherwise search over the net.
I was once going to try doing it with MSI Afterburner, but it came out that actually the game was doing my problems.
Other way 'd probably be bios, if your motherboard is advanced enough.

Reactions: OmegaMaximus