[SOLVED] Getting system crashes (bsod's) and lots of event log errors.

delcarto

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Hello all. Thanks for reading this. I'm not really sure that I am posting in the correct topic. Correct me if I have it wrong.
I have been having a slew of problems since upgrading some hardware on my PC. In the last month or so, I have added RAM, a new video card and a solid state drive. I guess I'd like to know what problem or which upgrade is causing this. Most of this started after I cloned my hard drive to the SSD but it could be anything due to all the upgrades. Heck, it could just be that Windows 10 is worn out. I haven't reinstalled for a couple years.
Up to this point, I have ran System File Checker, Chkdsk, Mem test, scanned for viruses and updated all my drivers. Probably more that I'm not remembering.
So, before I go ahead and reinstall Windows, I'd like to know what problem is the root cause. If my hardware is the problem, reinstalling Windows 10 won't help.
My system is an HP Envy Phoenix (860-014) desktop. Specs here:
My processor is an Intel Core i7 6700. My Power Supply is a 500w unit that came with the system. According to all I read, it should be able to handle the current load of all the new hardware. But????
The exact hardware upgrades were as follows:
The RAM I added was 16Gb (2 x 8) from Crucial.
The new GPU is an EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 KO Ultra.
Finally, the SSD I added is a Crucial MX500 1TB sata drive.
Any help would be awesome. If you need more info, just ask, There are more errors than I can list in the opening post.
Del.

Oh yeah, the system won't restart or shut off anymore. I have to use the power button. Sheesh!

Solution
Were the 2 x 8gb sticks a set? If so, I would think about removing the other 2 and see if you keep getting errors. At least tell you if it is ram timings I guess.
Trying to use sets that aren't designed to run together is hit and miss. Its hard enough with 2, having 4 of them is just asking for trouble.

PC shouldn't be unstable. of the changes you made, ram would be my guess.

Windows doesn't get worn out, if anything WIn 10 stays newer for longer as every 6 months or so you gget a new version of win 10 and it is basically a clean install each time, only it doesn't force you to start again. It just refreshes windows.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Added ram? Did you replace what was there already or just add more? That could be cause. mismatched ram can cause errors. We shall see.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

A perfectly working system will have events log errors, most of them might be one offs and can be ignored. I try not to look in there.

So does shutdown just hang?
try turning this off and see if it makes any difference - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

delcarto

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi Colif. Thanks for responding. I added more memory.
The system came with 12 GB (1x4, 1x8). Then I added 2 more 8GB sticks for a total of 28GB.
I'll do my best to get that dump file for you. On the 'Fast Startup" setting I made sure that was off a while ago.
I am afraid to shut this thing down. It just stays hanging on the blue shut down/Restarting screen. I bet I could leave it like that for hours. The system has become unstable and nearly unusable. It took a half hour to get booted up just now.
Another note on the RAM, this system came with mismatched sticks.
The 4GB is made by Hynix and the original 8GB is made by Samsung. It never caused me any trouble before I started the upgrading.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Were the 2 x 8gb sticks a set? If so, I would think about removing the other 2 and see if you keep getting errors. At least tell you if it is ram timings I guess.
Trying to use sets that aren't designed to run together is hit and miss. Its hard enough with 2, having 4 of them is just asking for trouble.

PC shouldn't be unstable. of the changes you made, ram would be my guess.

Windows doesn't get worn out, if anything WIn 10 stays newer for longer as every 6 months or so you gget a new version of win 10 and it is basically a clean install each time, only it doesn't force you to start again. It just refreshes windows.

Solution

delcarto

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Yes the 2 new sticks are a matched pair. I will yank to two unmatched sticks when I shut down. I guess maybe I should order to more sticks, Hopefully, I can get the same ones at a decent price. I got the two new ones for $80. However I am only seeing the same sticks at prices over $100 now.
Are you sure you don't want to see the last memory dump from last night?
Or is it because its a huge file?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Best idea, if you want 4 sticks, return the 2 you bought and buy 4 matching sticks. They set up to work together without problems. Buying 2 sets is just as risky as how you are now.

file size is a problem for the person I ask to check the dumps, his internet is slow. Minidumps are max 2mb, dump files can be a few GB, Big difference.

Take ram out and see if it improves anything. If it doesn't I will get the next dumps.

Do you need that much ram? 16gb is still enough for most applications now. Only a few games want more.

delcarto

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Yeah I can't even find the exact same sticks as the ones I just got from Crucial. Must have gotten the last 2. I was just trying to improve my memory capacity from the 12GB. So, even if the sticks are the same specs but made by different manufacturers its no good?
I guess I hate to see 2 empty memory slots ha ha. I'll shut down and remove the odd balls now. If I don't respond for a while, its because I can't.
The memory dump I'm looking at (from last night)is a file size of 1.119 MB
Here goes!! Hope I can get restarted.
Del.
Update: I just found a new pair of exactly matching 8GB Crucial memory sticks (CT2K8G4DFD8213 on Amazon. More expensive but I'll have them for when I need them . Of course after all the t-shooting and problem solving here.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Even sticks made by the same maker may not work cleanly together if not part of a set.

its a lottery, it might work, it might not. I helped someone who had 8 different sticks and only problem tthey had was they thought tthey had more ram than they did. So it can work, its just a gamble.

its 7.20am here, I might not be here much longer :)

delcarto

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Hey Colif, sorry I took so long, I'm in the Boston area. 6PM here. You must be Faaaar away from me ha ha.
I removed the odd memory. So far so good. If you have to go its alright. Maybe we can pick it up again tomorrow or whenever you are available.
On that memory, its the same exact part number, manufacturer, size and arrangement. Plus the two new stick would be on their own bank together. Anyway, I hear what you said. A crap shoot it is. Just maybe I'll get lucky when the time comes to try them out. Have a great day

Colif

Win 11 Master
The real question is, did it help?

There is no real way of knowing if the 2 sets would work together until you get them. Identical unmatched sticks can still not work right together. the matched sets are chosen specifically

delcarto

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Well I can only hope that I didn't just wizz away $100+ dollars. I will have to pray that the two separate, matched sets of identical sticks of memory will work out for me.
I just left for a while and came back 45 minutes later and everything is still running with no bsod's yet. 🤞 Thanks for your time Colif. I'll be back with either good or bad news either way. Enjoy the rest of your day.

delcarto

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi Colif. I hope I'm not speaking too soon but I think you nailed it with the memory suggestion. Not one BSOD since removing the old sticks. Plus, a lot of the other little things that weren't working right have subsided significantly.
The system still takes a long time to shut down if at all. Additionally, my Windows Recovery Environment appears to be completely gone.
The Recovery Environment never made it through the process of cloning my HDD to my SSD. I may have to start a new thread on that one. Unless you have some easy to understand instructions on that whole topic. Everything I found online about was kind of hard to follow.
The great news is that things appear to be running much better so re-installation isn't a pressing need at this moment. Certainly, with all the bad shutdowns, I may have to redo the system soon. It would be nice to know that I can reset/ restore my PC or do a complete reinstall when the time comes. Anyway, I'll leave that up to you.
Thank you so much for your help.
Del.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would maybe do a clean install on the ssd as it likely fix the restart issue as well. Reset wouldn't rebuild recovery environment.

Its also possible a bios setting is conflicting with windows and hence while windows shuts, the PC just sits there ignoring it. Resetting to defaults might help

delcarto

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
By clean install, do you mean using a Windows 10 disk?
I think I still have the HP recovery tools available (not sure?) but the Windows Recovery Environment doesn't add all the HP CrapWare.
I will certainly look at the BIOS settings. I forget now but I had to make some sort of adjustment to get the new SSD installed. Maybe something to do with Legacy support or something like that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, WIn 10 installer on USB or DVD - make a new one - download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

recovery wouldn't have the HP drivers as its for windows, its what you use to fix windows if it has problems. Say PC won't boot and after 3 restarts it runs Automatic repair, that is based on recovery.

If you cloned the hdd onto ssd, you shouldn't have needed to change legacy as that is boot method and cloning process (should) recreate all the same partitions and contents. All you should need to do in bios was change boot order to point it at ssd.

delcarto

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Ok Colif. That's good info. One last question if you don't mind.
Is it possible to create a recovery partition or drive that has all the latest updates and drivers. That way if things go south, I don't have to drop back punt from the one yard line.

delcarto

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Excellent. Once I get this system reinstalled or reset. I'll make sure that all updates and drivers are the latest. Then I'll try to make a more recent recovery image or partition.
Thanks for everything. Have a great day and stay healthy.
Del.