[SOLVED] getting temp limit RTX-3080 when reaching 54°C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2020
Hello,

I received my MSI suprim x 3080 a few days ago, found a stable overclock with enough testing and benchmarks so i have no issue here. ( +60core +200 memory for a small overclock. Power limit to 116% and temp limit to 91°C )

There's one thing i find weird and thats during games i sometimes get Temp limit and power limit spike on the graph in MSI afterburner. ( reaches 1 instead of 0)
This happens maybe every 10 minutes.

When i check the logs of HWinfo64 i can not see this sudden spike of temperature (stays below 54°C during the game session, reaches 54°C 1 time and this 1 time it also gave me a power limit spike to 1)

Performance limit- Power Performance limit- Thermal Performance Limit - Reliability Voltage
YES YES YES

its a 1000w power supply connect with 3 seperate PCIe cables to my GPU so i think there is not an issue here.

I do not notice framerate drops ,eveything is silky smooth but i just cant figure out why it reaches temp limit in Afterburner when i has the temp limit set to 91 on the slider.

Hope this was enough info to find an answer/solution.

greetz

Solution
If performance and temperatures are ok I wouldn’t worry about it. It could be a simple glitch with MSIAfterburner, wouldn’t be the first time.

Out of curiosity what actual speed if you gpu running at with that 60mhz overclock? My 3080 peaks up to 2100mhz periodically and that’s as far as I can push it.
If performance and temperatures are ok I wouldn’t worry about it. It could be a simple glitch with MSIAfterburner, wouldn’t be the first time.

Out of curiosity what actual speed if you gpu running at with that 60mhz overclock? My 3080 peaks up to 2100mhz periodically and that’s as far as I can push it.

Solution
Dec 23, 2020
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/16574075
Thats my highest score for time spy on 3dmark , i put +130core and +400mem overclock

with the +60core OC it goes to 2040-2055Mhz core.

I just logged it in GPUZ and when the temp limit occures in afterburner GPUZ show me a spike to 60°C and immediatly goes back to the 53°C of before.
I know these cards were recalled for "an issue" so i am a little worried that maybe a sensor is not reading the correct temperature....

Just been playing with mine and it hits power limit multiple times and it did hit the temperature limit once even though it peaked at only 62c. I did get 16304 but then I’m running a 3700x (PBO on) and 3600mhz RAM. Yours seems to be performing the same way my Gigabyte Gaming OC does.

Dec 23, 2020
ok i think i fixed the problem but i need some verification, @sizzling ?

M:\afterburner\MSI Afterburner\Profiles
I wentto this folder, then selected the bottom CFG-file named : VEN_10DE&DEV_2206&SUBSYS_38971462&REV_A1&BUS_1&DEV_0&FN_0

When i opened this i saw the 5 profiles where you are able to save your profiles in afterburner.

Example :

MemClkBoost=200000
FanMode=1
FanSpeed=30
FanMode2=
FanSpeed2=
CoreVoltageBoost=0
[Profile1]
Format=2
PowerLimit=116
ThermalLimit=
CoreClkBoost=0

I noticed that in none of these profiles the ThermalLimit was filled in like the above example.

After i put 91 next to Thermal limit and saved the document i played the same game as before for over an hour and i never got the TEMP limit or Power limit so i think this fixed it.

Would love some verification from other users here if their TempLimit was filled in automatically, if this was the case i could send an e-mail or bugreport to MSI about their beta version.
greetz

Reactions: MrSmith3101
I
ok i think i fixed the problem but i need some verification, @sizzling ?

M:\afterburner\MSI Afterburner\Profiles
I wentto this folder, then selected the bottom CFG-file named : VEN_10DE&DEV_2206&SUBSYS_38971462&REV_A1&BUS_1&DEV_0&FN_0

When i opened this i saw the 5 profiles where you are able to save your profiles in afterburner.

Example :

MemClkBoost=200000
FanMode=1
FanSpeed=30
FanMode2=
FanSpeed2=
CoreVoltageBoost=0
[Profile1]
Format=2
PowerLimit=116
ThermalLimit=
CoreClkBoost=0

I noticed that in none of these profiles the ThermalLimit was filled in like the above example.

After i put 91 next to Thermal limit and saved the document i played the same game as before for over an hour and i never got the TEMP limit or Power limit so i think this fixed it.

Would love some verification from other users here if their TempLimit was filled in automatically, if this was the case i could send an e-mail or bugreport to MSI about their beta version.
greetz

Mine was exactly the same ThermalLimit= Having modified to =91 I got no more positive Thermal Limit results when benchmarking.

Dec 23, 2020
Ah perfect :)
Glad it's also helped you.
Thank you for your fast replies here and have a merry x-mas !!! :)

Hope this also helps others who experienced this issue, i will write an email to MSI and explain it to them.

Reactions: sizzling
Status
Not open for further replies.