Question Getting the internet to work properly on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2022
I'm reloading XP on a Dell Optiplex 755. It has gone fairly well, except that most internet stuff, including Windows Update, doesn't work.

I've upgraded to IE8 and SP3. I've also loaded Opera 36. IE8 will only load non-HTTPS sites like www.he.net. Opera will do more but hangs up frequently trying to load stuff referenced by the web page I'm trying to load, such as googleads.

I've searched for an answer for hours and tried a lot of stuff, with no luck. I also don't see others complaining of this problem.

After doing all the above stuff I did get XP to activate online, which was progress I guess.

Any ideas or suggestions? I've had the same problem with every XP machine I've tried to get working recently. I don't expect everything to work but it would be nice to be able to do things like Google searches and driver downloads.

Thanks,

-jimc

PS: Please don't just tell me that I shouldn't be doing this. I have my reasons, and I know what I'm doing. Thanks.

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
Internet Explorer has been problematic for XP users for a long time now. I haven't used it on XP machines for at least 15 years.

Safari and Opera are very popular, but I have no experience with either. I have been using Basilisk52 Serpent (a FF clone) and Chrome360 with good performance.

In the case of Basilisk I had to tweak the UserAgent for some sites to load properly.

So far as search engines go..... Google is the last one I would recommend due to all the censorship and data mining, but that's just me. :b

Status
Not open for further replies.