Getting the itch again, to build or to just upgrade some components???

Aug 6, 2018
A Few years back was the last PC I built. Its been running great as all I do is game and a little video.
Long story short its time to move into the 4k relm and I run 3 screens.
My current rig is:
MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING Mother board
i7 4770k processor
2x Zotac AMP! GTX780's in SLI (obviously)
16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Corsair H100i cooler with push/pull
Corsair 850i power supply
2x 500gb Samsung Evo SSDs in raid 0
2TB Barracuda HDD storage
bla bla bla old but still sexy looking

Its been a few years. Rig runs great and at this point I'm lost on what's all out there. After seeing Ryzen performance per buck I'm wondering if I should just upgrade my graphics cards for the latest games in 4k or part out and pursue the next build. Money isn't much an option but if I can get this rig to do what I want by just upgrading some parts and overclocking whatever that is great. Was just thinking about running 2 Zotac AMP! 1070's???
I am sitting on a new MSI X99S Krait Edition motherboard but I've had it for a while now and seems that socket set is in its own world and out dated plus with the Ryzen Gen 2 stuff so cheap it would be cheaper to buy a gen 2 Ryzen CPU and motherboard than just buying an Intel I7 CPU 5820k or 6800k for the Krait board.

Again I'm just getting back into researching and there is 5x more crap out there now then back when my hyperthreaded 4770 was the beezkneez. ;) Although its running at 4.2 GHz and stress tests cant effect it so I know it is still a beast.

So just upgrade graphics or will it struggle with the new games rocking 3-4k monitors? Is ram an issue being DDR3 compared to 5?
I could run 2 1080p monitors as peripherals but I think that if I remember right the cards would still need to be ran like I'm running 3 4k monitors so that would be pointless.

Im getting bitten by the build bug again but trying to be adult about it. That and the wife is rolling her eyes as im thousands deep into modding a new BMW S1000RR haha!

Thanks all
Fun times

Solution
The next gen Nvidia cards, specifically the king of the hill card is promised to be able to power a 4k screen at 144hz.

The IPC of 4770k and ryzen is similar. So at 4.2ghz, u will be at the 90-120fps mark. Which means that the 4k 144hz gsync will be fine with those fps.

So 2 of those king of the hill gpu in sli with custom loop? And 2 of those in sli probably won't be able to power 3 of the those 4k at 144hz.

So try 2 3440x1440 ultrawides like the acer predator z35p screens. These are 100hz curved ips screens, which is perfect for ur cpu.

And this brings us to another question : do games support 3x4k resolution? Most games support the 3 screen aspect ratio, but that's mostly in 1080p. I am really not sure about 3x4k res. This...
At 4K gaming your i7-4770K would do well. Unless you are nit-picky about having the fastest frame rate you would be just fine. Multi-GPU gaming is kind of fading away (although 4K gaming demand does give it some use), game developers aren't really offering support for it on every major title, or at least you can't count on them to do so. Going with a single faster GPU is typically recommended, such as a GTX 1080 Ti, or two haha. Actually, new next-gen GPUs are coming later this month and over the next few months from Nvidia and will reportedly drop existing prices. I would just upgrade the GPU (*now or after new ones come out) and see how it goes from there.

16GB DDR3 will do well enough. You could gain some performance from a new CPU and DDR4 RAM, but it's not necessary. Again, I'd just get the GPUs and see what you want to do next. New CPUs are supposed to be released by Intel before next year.

Aug 6, 2018
I appreciate the response. Sounds like a great idea. I’ll wait for the new releases and try graphics first. See how it benches. At 39 my eyes won’t know the difference in frame rates and my son doesn’t know what that is yet to be picky about it ha!

The next gen Nvidia cards, specifically the king of the hill card is promised to be able to power a 4k screen at 144hz.

The IPC of 4770k and ryzen is similar. So at 4.2ghz, u will be at the 90-120fps mark. Which means that the 4k 144hz gsync will be fine with those fps.

So 2 of those king of the hill gpu in sli with custom loop? And 2 of those in sli probably won't be able to power 3 of the those 4k at 144hz.

So try 2 3440x1440 ultrawides like the acer predator z35p screens. These are 100hz curved ips screens, which is perfect for ur cpu.

And this brings us to another question : do games support 3x4k resolution? Most games support the 3 screen aspect ratio, but that's mostly in 1080p. I am really not sure about 3x4k res. This brings back to the 2 ultrawide resolution/aspect ratio support in the game.

Solution