Getting the most out of my P-M 1.5

chimpspanner

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
Hey all....again!

I got my Acer Aspire 2012WLMi as "compensation" for a faulty 1501LCe and I have to say....I'm very very impressed. The 1.5Ghz P-M flies, despite it's low clock speed. I can honestly say it's only a tad slower than most desktop AthlonXP 2600s I've used (which in my humble estimation, are pretty damn good chips :) ).

The only thing I need to know now is what I have to do to set the P-M up to run on "all pistons". I know it's a mobile processor, but I mean I'm gunna be using it plugged in a good deal of the time. It seems to hiccup ever so slightly whenever the "load" placed on it changes (whether up or down) which I guess is the chip going up or down a gear as a "power saving feature" but obviously, I don't need to save any power cos...it's plugged into the mains! I'm running Speedswitch XP but I don't understand the more advanced options. Anything else I should do, run, disable, etc. to get the absolute most out of this already corkin chip? Once I can remove these little pops whilst I'm working (and they are VERY little) I'll be like, 110% happy! But as it is, it's not a show stopper by any means :)

Thanks,

Paul O

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I have a Dell Latitude C840 equipped with a P4-M 1.4GHz and I can disable "SpeedStep" directly in the BIOS. When I deactivate, the CPU is running 100% at full speed (plugged or not). You may have the samefeature in your BIOS too.

--
Asus A7N8X / <font color=green><b>AMD Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> (tbred @ 167x12)
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Built by ATI Radeon 8500LE 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290

chimpspanner

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
Hey! Yeah I've heard some P-M Mobiles have that feature!

In any case, I may have jumped the gun a bit. Files playing through my external soundcard play 100% glitch free, so my problem is application specific (need to fiddle with some options). In which case, the laptop is not at fault and it is indeed, perfect :)

Thanks anyhow man!

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Wow.. they sent you that thing fast! Just a day ago you where still wondering what to order.. good points for Acer there. Also glad to hear you're pleased so far.

As for your problem, read Rod's post, indeed there ought to be an option in the bios to disable speedstep which most likely causes the "hickups". Can't commend on the speedstep applet though, I've not seen it and my telepatic abilities are a bit rusty; but if you describe the options, perhaps I or someone else could figure them out for you.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

chimpspanner

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
Hey there! Yes, although it has been a nightmare getting to this point, I'm very impressed at the lengths Acer have gone to to keep me happy :)

I'm fairly sure now that these hiccups are not related to the laptop. They only happen when I'm monitoring live input through my audio sequencer. When I play back, there are no glitches, and it doesn't happen in Reason 2.5, or even media player. So it's a problem i can sort!

Oddly enough there are virtually no options whatsoever in the BIOS. Just like, date, time, and IR on or off! No speedstep options.

The software I was talking about is called SpeedswitchXP. It's an extended set of power/CPU policy controls. Alot of people swear by it, but I don't really notice the difference. With the first laptop Acer sent me (which was Athlon64 powered) it introduced NEW problems instead of fixing the existing one!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by chimpspanner on 07/31/04 08:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>